Thursday, September 13, 2012

End of the week is near...

This week pretty much CAN'T get any worse. From the stomach virus that knocked both my kids and myself down -  to a death in family - it just has to pick up from here - right? Here is to hoping...

So I tossed the idea of treadmill vs. outside run last night, and outside won. It was around 7:20 p.m. and it starts getting dark before 8:00 p.m. now - ugh... so I hightailed it because I had to get in 4 miles. Well, not sure if I was totally spooked by running in the dark or if the idea of laying in my bed was just too good to be true, but I ran those 4 miles in under 40 minutes. Say what... and then I was in the shower and in laying in bed in NO TIME FLAT. Ahhhhh so nice.

I have been trying to run with only ONE earpod in and keeping one ear free to hear all the wonderful nature sounds someone coming to get me. I think the safety issue is NOW finally starting to weigh on me, it had not in the past, not sure why all of a sudden? I am trying to be EXTRA aware of my surroundings. We live St. Louis - the crime capital of the U.S., so I really need to start putting more emphasis on my safety while I run.
Another thing I am trying to do is to NOT use music as my crutch. I want to run to run - not because LMFAO is "Sexy and I know it". I notice every time a great song comes on - it pushes me and I like that, BUT I want to push myself mentally as well. So I will slowly lose some of the music (sorry Rihanna). I won't totally eliminate it, because when I cross that finish line at 13.1 miles and Metallica is jamming out - I might shed a  tear or two to "Enter Sandman"...

Finish line Awesomeness
Anywhooo - tomorrow I am going to start a weekly theme for Friday - hahaha - yes I am Mrs. Blog now. HIGHlarious.

Any great ideas to stay SAFE while running - any advice is appreciated?

Not much longer - ONE MORE DAY - hang in there peeps!

14 comments:

  1. If I go out too close to dark I get skeeved out big time. One of my routes has a nice long dead end road. At the end of the road is woods...I pretty much do a u-turn long before those woods so the murderous lurking pervs can't snatch me up. I think the one ear bud idea is a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that night time run had me all "heeeby jeeby". If there was a dead end somewhere I probably would of had a melt down:)

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness it is almost Friday! I have seriously had enough of this week! I am sorry for the death in your family and glad everyone is feeling better from the yucky stomach virus...those are NO BUENO. Awesome job on the run...I envy anyone that runs...I have never been a runner and as much as I want to be one, I just don't think I am meant to. I workout at the Y and I have been switching between the elliptical and the treadmill each week but I just can't bring myself to try and jog...who knows why, but I just can't. So, I'm totally jelly of your ability to run...you rock lady! PS...I love your hair how it's blonde on top and dark underneath...I am getting that done soon, just debating whether or not to chop it all off as well....MrD doesn't like that idea but it's starting to drive me bat shit crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running was definitely something I had to adjust to. Kind of like good wine. You start out with all the sweet stuff and finally make it to the Pinot Noir/Merlot family. LOL... Now I absolutely LOVE it - not as much as wine though:) Thanks for the hair kudos - trying the ombre look but I am going to chop mine off next summer and donate. Happy Thursday.

      Delete
  3. Vomit..... I am SO tired today. ONE MORE DAY!

    I haven't had the energy to run lately. You are doing an awesome job with it though!! Keep pushing yourself and you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I hear you - I can't wait for this weekend - HUZZAH!

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about your bad week... atleast the end is in sight!

    Running without music?! You're a rock star. Seriously, I thought only olympians did that!
    I can't do jack without RiRi rocking out in my ear drums.

    I follow simple rules when running- tell someone where I'm going and no running at night. People be cray! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE reading your blog. Makes me feel like I really know you. How I would love to grab a glass of wine (or 5) with you and chat away.
    Sorry you were sick, but glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you're having a bad week.

    I like that you're going to focus more on safety and motivating yourself- though I agree that you can't run without music completely!

    Did you hear about that lady the other day in Forest Park who was assaulted while running? You be careful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did - it was so weird. I was writing my post last night around 8:30 p.m., when the Channel 2 news came on at 9 and I was like "see that is why I should do this". Scary stuff.

      Delete
  7. You've had a pretty crappy week! Sorry about that! You know I can relate to the creepy feelings you get while out and about. You know Memphis ain't safe but there's crazy folks everywhere these days. My advice is to stay in well lit areas with other people around and pepper spray!

    Is that you doing a cartwheel at the finish line? I'm excited about a Friday theme. I need to do that too. Hope you have a good weekend with no vomit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BAH - me doing a cartwheel! HA... Maybe in my backyard with the kids - no not me at the finish line. I like the pepper spray idea... Have a great weekend.

      Delete