Monday, October 1, 2012

"Dig a Little Deeper" Part II


Happy Funday Monday...

If you haven't read my Part I post - read it HERE.

Okay so where are we at? Oh yeah.. Eric and I.. HA

So we started dating after the hilarious comment he made at the bar. I mean he was too charming. My ex-boyfriend and I had only been broken-up about 3 months so I truthfully was still healing and honestly not ready to get "serious yet", but I thought "time to have fun". Eric and I dated in college and eventually after a few years I felt myself "falling" for him. I graduated with my BS in Rehabilitation Psychology in 2002 and Eric still had two more years left of college (see what partying will do to you). I decided to stay at CMSU to pursue my Master's degree in High School Counseling and to spend more time with Eric while he finished up.

I worked full time and went to school full time. I worked during the day and spent my entire evenings, every day of the week, on campus in class in my Masters program. It was quite challenging. Eric was very much into weight lifting and going to they gym consistently, and it started to rub off on me. I quit smoking and decided to pick up his ONE healthy habit "going to the gym". Eric and I spent our free time at the gym and still partied on the weekends. Eric started bouncing at the "Star Bar" and this quickly turned into me spending my evenings there with him bellied up to the bar, then working my tail off at the gym the next day sweating out Tequila and Vodka. ICK...

College Days
Okay.Okay.Okay. I am moving on. So Eric and I had been dating for about 4-5 years or so in September 2003. One night he took me out to dinner and when the dessert came out - the cheesecake had the words "Will you Marry Me" written in chocolate on the plate. I looked down and there was Eric on his knee in front of the restaurant. SUPER CUTE! I said yes. Now we had talked about getting married and I actually picked the ring out - so this was not a big surprise as to what was happening BUT the big surprise came after the proposal. He had this HUGE engagement party planned with all of our friends, past and present. It was a raging good time. There was champagne, decorations, a huge card with every one's comments (we still have it today), fun music, and even a final strip tease for me courtesy of Eric himself. HA... It was EPIC!

Engagement Night
Eric graduated college in the Spring of 2003 and we stayed at CMSU. He was working full time, I was still working full time, and I had ONE more class to finish up before I graduated ~ my practicum. Eric was interviewing for jobs back in St. Louis and out of state. He was offered a job back in St. Louis that he couldn't pass up, after much deliberation he took the job and now I was left to decide to stay and finish up or move home and "see what happens". There was no-one left at CMSU and all my friends and family were in St. Louis and I was scared to be alone - so I quit and came home. AGH!!!!!

I need to speed this up.. Sorry this is soooo long. So we came home - he started his job and I fell into the job I am currently in. On May 14, 2005 we were married. We had a small wedding (about 90 people) with AWESOME food and just those people around us that were truly a part of our lives. It was a gorgeous day and I married a gorgeous man. We took the money that we would of been given for the wedding, and put 20% down on a house. YAY - NO PMI. We took a honeymoon to Jamaica in December 2005 and it was PERFECT.

Wedding Day
In December of 2006 we started trying for a baby and we were fortunate to get pregnant that month. We had Elle Rose on August 17, 2007. She was perfect (6 lbs 11oz) and beautiful and I was a TANK. I remember the month before giving birth, Eric saying to his mom "Will Mel look like this forever?". I know he was half kidding but I think a part of him was not. He had never seen me look like a marshmallow and there I was in all my double chinned madness. I had gained 70+ lbs with Elle and was MISERABLE. I loved being pregnant - no troubles, ate EVERYTHING, and enjoyed the preggo attention. Labor was a breeze. My water broke at work - I went to the hospital - received an epidural around 5 cm - and had my girl. Easy Breezy. I took 3 months off of work and then went back.

Elle ~ 10 months
Life was different with a child but it was fun and Eric was such an amazing father. Elle was such an easy baby and we had sold our current house and were building a new one at the time. We lived in Eric's parents basement for 8 months while our house was being built and I think that made time fly by. We moved into our house in November 2008 and finally felt back to normal. I finally started to drop the weight with the stress of the house and it took a good 2 years to get it all off BUT I did it.

We started trying for another child right before Elle turned 2. It took 5 months to get preggo with Wesley man. Wesley Charles was born on July 2, 2010 (8lbs) and boy this time things were DIFFERENT. My pregnancy was NOT easy. I was sick, he was huge and it hurt, sciatica was awful, and labor SUCKED. I was induced because of high blood pressure and my epidural wore off/or didn't work and I felt everything.stinkin.painful.contraction. Life didn't get easier after he arrived. He had colic, I mean the kind where he did NOT quit crying for anything for a full year. It was hard and I felt guilty for Elle. All she wanted was "mommy" and I was tending to the Wes man. I took another 3 months off with Wesley as well and started back to work after that. I honestly feel like my head is FINALLY above water now he is 2 and doing MUCH better.

Wesley Charles
I had only gained about 40 lbs with Wesley - but this time it has been a bia to take off. I still have about 10-15 lbs to go. Ugh... So I have started running and trying to eat right. It is hard with two kids at home, REALLY hard.

My kids
Eric and I will be celebrating our 8 year Anniversary in May. He truly is the "love of my life" and my best friend. He is an amazing father and although I want to punch him 40% of the time, the other 60% are amazing. I work full time and LOVE my job. I love my children, even though it is so hard to keep it together sometimes. I try to smile through life, but sometimes I need to tell myself "it is okay to break down". I will work on that. I have forgiven all those in my past that have some how hurt me. My life wouldn't be so blessed if those certain events didn't play out.


I struggle daily with my self-confidence but I will NOT falter, I will keep pushing through because it is MY choice to do so. I will LOVE me because I DO. I want my children's children to tell my story one day and use the word "STRONG" as a description of me. A strong mama, that worked very hard, loved all people, danced in her living room whenever she wanted, cried in the bathroom when days were bad, adored her husband and children, and truly and honestly loved herself:)

A few Christmas's Ago
Happy Monday  

27 comments:

  1. Love your story! I think you look amazing and your kiddos are just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing awesome!! And when you said that you need to allow yourself to break down sometimes it totally made me cry! I am the exact same way... and I know I need to be easier on myself and then life might be a little easier in return...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so motivational! I loved reading about you and Eric's back story! You look amazing and are motivating me to keep running! One foot and one pound at a time sista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel- Although we have never met in person(woohoo internet mama buddies) you are truly one of THE most REAL, funny and beautiful person inside and out that I "Know". You are so funny and such a KNOCK OUT! Eric is very lucky to have you. Way to go mama and you will lose those extra lbs and if you don't, you still look AWESOME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Bern this means the world to me. Thank you sista mama:)

      Delete
  5. Love your story, and your kiddos are so stinkin cute! I struggle daily with self-confidence, so I know where you're coming from - I hate it. You are a VERY strong individual and your kids are definitely going to see that growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, well, Ms. St Louis. Didn't know you were down there! I go to St Louis every spring for a hair show, we just might have to meet next spring! Holly from "Where We Can Live Like Jack and Sally" is planning on meeting up with me, too. (Hope that doesn't scare you half to death!) Great part 2. Your kiddos are so darn cute, and I'm jealous of your gorgeous wedding picture! Way to go on your weight loss, jealous of that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you can't scare me away. I am there girl. So there.

      Delete
  7. You have a beautiful story, family, and soul. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melanie, I love this story. And how awesome was it to put 20% down on a house?! You smart girl, you. Is Eric still into weight lifting and working out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt great to do that:) oh yes Eric is still the weight lifting king;) thx Holly girl.

      Delete
  9. Ahhh I absolutely loved reading this. You are beautiful inside and out! I am loving the cards dress too of course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a super mamma and super wife. Your hubby sounds amazing and I loved your engagement story and wedding pics. You look great - keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved reading your story, Mel. It's nice to learn more about my new blog friends. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved reading your story! I especially loved your last paragraph. I want the same things. You are a strong woman, keep the confidence up it is hard sometimes but it can be your most beautiful asset! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome story!! I loved reading every minute of it. BTW Mel, can you change your profile to add in your email so I can respond you your comments via email? I'd love you forev!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking for the Best Dating Site? Create an account to find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just installed iStripper, and now I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete