Monday, October 8, 2012

MOO - MO Cowbell Half Marathon Re-cap


Happy Monday everyone. I want to say HELLO to all the new followers and thank you all for actually thinking that I am cool enough to follow- LOL:)

So let's get RIGHT to the point - MY FIRST HALF MARATHON RE-CAP.

Saturday (day before the race) - I woke up early and honestly was getting a tad bit nervous. I had cleaning to do and cooking because I knew I wouldn't feel like doing it when I finished on Sunday. First Laura and I had to get to St. Charles to pick up our swag bag - so she was in my driveway at 8:15 a.m. we drove out and picked up our goodies.

Swag Bag
After we got back I had to head to the grocery store and start the cooking and cleaning. I made some good old chili and some pumpkin bread. I wanted wholesome fall food when I was D.O.N.E. with the race.

Wes hearts his vacuum like his mama

Baking with Elle

Finally after all the house work was complete - I decided to jump on the treadmill for ONE last run before I was an official HALFER. I was only going to do 2 miles but bumped it up to the three because ACDC came on and I will not STOP until their song was FINISHED.
Pre-Half Marathon Runner
Okay so now it was dinner time. I wanted to eat protein and carbs - so we opted to grill some steaks, butter noodles, green-beans, and some pretzel rolls. Yes we like 2 carbs for dinner. HA:) I ate fairly well but I was getting anxious and my stomach was in knots - so I would say I ate "some".  I also drank a TON of water on Friday and Saturday - a TON. I was honestly in the bathroom more than around my family;) I also hit the hay pretty early on Saturday, because I had to be up at 4:00 a.m. on Sunday.

Sunday - My alarm went off at 4:10 am so I woke up and got myself together. I had all my gear laid out and my morning pretty well thought out in one of those "lists in my head". After dressing and getting cleaned up I was ready to get my eat on.

I drank 2 glasses of water. I ate 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and honey, a banana, and a piece of low fat string cheese. I was used to training with this meal, so I stuck with it. Then I HAD to have a cup of coffee so I downed that too and I was back in the bathroom peeing up a storm (tmi? oh well). I kissed E and he wished me good luck. I packed up my car and off I went to pick up Laura. Oh wait did I mention it was 30 degrees. HUZZAH I love running in the cold - maybe not quite THAT cold.

We drove out to St. Charles and it was packed. We decided to park kind of far away and honestly I was so glad we did, it really warmed my legs up and gave me a little stretch. We reached Frontier Park and it was ON.

Laura getting geared up
  
We decided to stop by the lovely port-a-potties and push every last drop of pee out we had - because there was NO stopping me once I started. NONE.

After we completed our mission - we wanted to milk a cow get our picture with the infamous cow.


 Then we did some jumping around - it was COLD... and we headed up to our corral.

Don't know these people but took a pic anyway
I snuck us into the 10 minute mile corral - Laura was displeased, she wanted us in the 9 minute one - but I was NOT having it:) At this point I started to check my phone and saw all the texts and instagram messages from all of my friends, family, and YOU... My heart was filled with emotion and I knew I HAD to do this - not just for me but for EVERYONE. I was strong and I WAS going to finish.
10 Minute Mile Corral
We waited for a bit, Star-Spangled banner played, they ran the cowbells, and off we went. AGH!!! It was pretty much a cluster in the beginning for a bit and then it opened up. I was doing fairly well and feeling good. NO music and NO time keeper - just me and the frosty air and thousands of people to watch - YAY. We ran and about mile 4 Laura asked how the pace was - I was doing just fine. Oh.. I drank water at the 4 mile station, it was terrible and tasted like salt - ICK!


Corn Fields and People
We got to about mile 6 and I was still fine. Laura asked AGAIN how the pace was. I was doing just fine. We spotted a cow car around this time. FYI... the reason these are blurry is because I keep my phone in my bra so this is (.)(.) sweat you see. HA! Deal with it.

Cow Car
Mile 7-9 were going great - we ran through this little township and people were out cheering us on. It was ADORABLE except the fact that by now we were right by these two guys that were ANNOYING the bejeezus out of me. Making comments really loud and just acting like REAL TOOLS. I was O.V.E.R. them, so Laura and I sped up and said "see ya suckas". Much more pleasant after they were out of sight. I also drank water at the 8 mile station - yum much better than before.

Mile 10, Laura asked AGAIN how I was and I was okay? Now by now I could see a huge hill up ahead and I thought "it is arm pumping time" but I was still doing alright. The hill was killer and lasted a pretty good distance. I was tapering a bit, but I kept at it. There was one lady with a sign that said "Smile if you are not wearing underwear - so I smiled SUPER BIG and pushed right through;) No undies RULE!! Somewhere in the 10th mile there was a clock and it read 1 hr and 33 minutes and I thought - NO WAY IN HELL? I was running way slower than that. So I sloughed it off.

Mile 11 I noticed Laura getting antsy - so I told her to jet and I would see her at the finish line. So off she took. Mile 12 was all mental. I was telling myself  "Don't quit - you trained so hard - no stopping - just finish". People around me were dropping like flies and I did NOT want to be a fly. So I pushed it. I crossed a turn and by shi**y me, there was the finish line. Hot Dam*! I had about a half mile left and something inside me just clicked - I sprinted my tail off and crossed that finish line SUPER FAST style. BAM.. the clock read 2 hrs and 9 minutes and all I could think was "WHAT"?

See my goal was to JUST finish - I didn't care about the time. Laura had run a half before so she wanted to beat her time from last year. After I met up with Laura I kept mumbling "um...is that clock right...there was no way". She politely said "you know how I kept asking if you were doing okay? Well we were booking it and you said you were fine so I just didn't say anything". Laura beat her time from last year and I couldn't BE any more proud of mine. This honestly was the best feeling EVER. I feel strong and proud and ready to do it AGAIN in April. Oh yes.. the GO St. Louis half-marathon will be my next victim and I WILL be beating my time then:)

Post Half Marathon Run
We immediately hit up the beer tent and Laura threw some bread down her face hole and off we went all giddy and happy. We stopped for Mexican and a few more drinks - because you know the best way to recover from a run is booze, right?


I came home - kissed my kids and hubby, and read through all my encouraging messages. I felt so blessed. I did it - because my legs kept moving, because my heart kept beating, because I didn't give up, and because of all of you.

THANK YOU FOR BELIEVING IN ME

 Now what is up with everyone? How was your weekend?  Any runs coming up?

Update - Wanted to keep this so I had a log of my journey.

August Miles

Week 1 (8/1-8/7) - 11 miles 
Week 2 (8/8-8/14) - 12 miles 
Week 3 (8/15-8/21) - 17 miles
Week 4 (8/22-8/28) - 15 miles
Week 5 (8/29-8/31) - 13 miles



September/October Miles
Week 1 (9/1-9/8) - 21 miles
Week 2 (9/9-9/16) - 25 miles
Week 3 (9/17-9/24) - 25 miles
Week 4 (9/25-10/2) - 20 miles
Week 5 (10/3-10/6) - 9 miles
Half Marathon - October 7th, 2012 - 2 hrs 9mins

41 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!! This post made me so happy! I think I might just have to do the Go STL half with you in April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Kim - we can totally do it:) and THANK YOU.

      Delete
    2. I think I really am going to try! It should definitely keep my moving thru the winter. My only concern is that training will be during tax season where the hubby works long days and saturdays. I will have to depend on my parents and inlaws to watch the girls more so I can get in the long runs. My BFF is a trainer at Golds in Fenton and always said she would do it with me... I need to just commit!

      Delete
    3. It is the commit that is scary for sure:) But I know you totally could.

      Delete
  2. Way to Go Melanie!!! I loved reading about this experience. You make me wanna go run a half! Your running shirt is too cute. You have the best running gear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girlee. Running gear - gotta keep up with the fashion, right? LOL

      Delete
  3. Nice work! Such a feeling of accomplishment, no? Sounds like you had a great experience and race:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats...your time was awesome!! Since you're already trained, come run the Rock n Roll!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I was actually "thinking" about it. I am going to check to see if registration is still open. AGH!!!!

      Delete
  5. Yaaaayyyy!!! So exciting! Congratulations!!! You are one awesome gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin THANK YOU!!! It was a great experience.

      Delete
  6. Nice, Mel! You kicked butt! But how in the world did you run without any music? I would die...I'm also not good at Yoga or Meditating - I hate the quiet...I even sleep with my TV on ALL.NIGHT.LONG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bad - chatting with Laura made the time go by WAAAY faster. I think at the end I could of probably used some music - but oh well. I had to get used to the quiet - took me a couple of runs. Thanks again.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! It sounds like you did awesome. I was thinking of you and sending out good running vibes. I meant to send you an email, but I'm a tool and completely spaced it off. Are you already planning your next one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I am tool right there with you. You are too sweet I know you were all there with me:) Yes I am doing a 5K on November 3rd, a 5 Mile on St. Pat's Day, and another half in April. YAY!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh!! CONGRATS! I Would LOVE to be able to go that far! Maybe one day! your outfit was super cute! and I LOVE that you finished with a margarita! My kinda girl! Great job! Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - a Margarita it the ONLY way to finish;)

      Delete
  9. Way to go! Congrats, and especially congrats on that time! Wowza! I can't even imagine running for that long or that distance - that takes so much effort and dedication and YOU DID IT!! Good job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melanie... you rock my world. Seriously... 2 hours and 9 minutes?! Can I run the one in April with you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um.. yes it is on like donkey kong and THANK YOU.

      Delete
  11. I am so proud of you Melanie! 2 hours and 9 minutes is amazing! After reading about you and a few other bloggers I'm thinking about considering trying a half. It is on my bucket list and there's no better time than now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith - if I can run it ANYONE can. I like your way of thinking - you are right "no better time than NOW".

      Delete
  12. Happy for you! It had to be a great feeling to cross the finish line! I have got to make time to start running!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!! You did it! Congrats. And your family is all so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats to you! you should be so proud of yourself. That's an awesome accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suze THANK YOU - it does feel pretty darn awesome.

      Delete
  15. I just met you and am so, so, so proud of you! (.)(.) Sweat. Hahahahahaha!!! The whole post gave me chills! I need to do a race again... just reading the post makes me miss the adrenaline rush of doing one of those.

    Oh and a 9 minute mile for 13 miles??? I hope you drank about 5 of those alcoholic beverages! You deserve it! Seriously impressive!

    P.S. Our boys must love helping their momma's. That is Crewe's absolute favorite toy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just read this and cried some more! Damn I am a softy! I can't wait for this...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel- what training program did you use?

    ReplyDelete