Monday, January 28, 2013

Frostbite Series 4 Mile Race Re-cap

Good morning everyone - back to the grind. You all know this weekend there were a TON of us who were racing - well I had my Frostbite Series 4 Mile Race with the AMAZING Kim from Growing with the Gilmore Girls.

Kim and I met at a commuter lot and I drove down to the race. The race was in Forest Park (one of my favorite places in St. Louis). Kim has a pre-race tradition of downing a Red Bull before the race - she said it "gives her wings". BAAAAHHH!!! She brought one for me - but I was too chicken to drink one. Anything out of the ordinary on race days - makes me all "oh I might have to pee" and this broad does NOT stop. LOL...

Here is what I wore... 
We got to the race around 8:30 a.m. or so (race starts at 9:00 a.m.) - yeah... we didn't want to stand around in the cold. The weather was EXCELLENT - around 40 degrees and straight SUN! Bibs were NOT given out before hand, so EVERYONE had to wait in line to get their bib (probably not the ideal registration process) - but none-the-less we got our bibs and then I had to pee so bad...

Well... I am going to let you all in on a little secret - if you follow me on IG you will know about this "somewhat" already. Okay here is the deal I AM a nice girl - I am NOT mean to people and I don't HATE anyone - EVER!!!! BUT.... there is this ONE person who cannot stand me( for reasons that are not valid and honestly I didn't care 11 years ago and still don't today) and when I looked over and this person caught my eye and gave me that "I can't stand you face" - I smiled so big while looking them dead in the eye (GAWD I loved this feeling) and thought BRING IT!!! I could of went up and did a nice swift drop kick - but I am NOT like that... I thought I will use this energy to bust it out today.

So.... Kim and I took some before pics of the race.

Walking to the start line

Start line

Kim and I 

Race started and it was so beautiful, I FINALLY listened to music this WHOLE race and I loved it. I have NEVER raced with music before and I have to say - it definitely is a motivator - thank YOU Big Pun;) I love that Kim and I can race and we don't have to stay together - she does her thing, I do mine, and we meet at the end - best way to race. Kim is faster than lightening so off she went in her yellow pull-over - LOVE HER!!! The miles went by quickly... I was jamming out and thinking of that face I saw just a few minutes before - and that definitely had me going. There were hills and I pumped my arms harder as I went up them. The wind felt awesome on my face and my legs were going, going, going... no water breaks, no stops, and then it was mile 3 and I sped up my last split. I finished at mile 4 and it felt great.

Me headed to the finish line - I wanted to whip it past that girl in black - sorry I am not sorry chick!
Met up with Kim - of course she finished about 2 minutes before me - because she is Mrs. Speedy McSpeederson - so proud of her. We took MORE pics - good bloggers in us!!! and drank some water.

DONZO....
We waited to see our times and postings and then split... For real we were in the car by 9:50 a.m. and back at home by 10:30 a.m. or so - PERFECT.

My Time and my PR baby!!!! Woot Woot.

So yeah... I finished in 35:43 - came in 7th for my age group (pace 8:56) and can't be more dang happy with that - "Yeah you, in the bib registration line, with the grudge and angry face - THANK YOU for helping me get here" - BOOYA!!!

And finally.. I pulled a "Mel". I got so excited about the Run for your Beads Mardi Gras 5k and how Darci, Holly, etc... and I were going to run it before we got all amp'd up for the parade on February 9th. So I signed up - paid my 27 bucks and was like "heck yeah"... only to find out it is THIS Saturday on February 2nd and I am hosting a 30+ baby shower at my house at noon. Say What? So question is - do I go, run as fast as I can, run straight to my car, and get home in time to brush my hair - throw on clothes - and host a shower? Or do I say nah... and chalk up the money? Oh I picked up the bib and registration yesterday - so you can see which way I am leaning - AGH!!!!!



Great Race - Happy Week
How did your race go this weekend? Pull a Mel? Any person make you run your a** off?

37 comments:

  1. congrats on your PR, thats amazing!!!!!!! you run ALOT faster than I do! I have a great bike ride this weekend, but it wasnt running!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous write up! It was a great morning run! I knew you'd be clear under 36! You should always trust me! And this maradi gras race! Run it! It will force you to be more prepared for the party before Saturday and then you can de- stress at the race and feel better all day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you run that race and get another PR! {obviously!}
    Good work on your new 4 mile PR! You rocked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh I hate grumpy people! Sounds like you handled it awesomely. and way to go on PR!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your recap and congrats on the PR! Love the run-in with the enemy, too. You handled it awesomely, of course. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple weeks for Mardi Gras!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I'm still sad you did not take my performance enhancing drugs I tried to push on you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did fabulous! I say run that race and this weekend and then do the baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO the same way if I see someone like that. That adrenaline gets going and nothing can stop you. You did incredible and races are totally addicting. You will be doing that 5k. Bet! haha Especially now that you are already signed up. It's a done deal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go, pretty lady! How could anyone NOT adore you?! Crazy wench.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME PR!!! That's an amazing action shot. something about someone you don't mesh with giving you the stink eye can really light a fire! Go girl! I still can't believe you alwas run without music! Music is as important in my runs as water lol for real!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can totally do both! That's what us bad bitches do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!
    CHECK that time :O Amazing!
    You have the best racing partner in Kim - I love,love that you guys can do your own thing and meet up in the end like that, that's what I'd want in a partner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the PR girl! Nothing like seeing someone you can't stand to light a fire under that bootay! I can't beleive you run without music! How?! lol

    I've been reading your blog for awhile and just started my own! http://sheerserendipity28.blogspot.com/

    I absolutely love your hair and oufits, your kids are so presh and I LOVE your rap keek offs on friday! Have a good monday girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go speedy! You're a rock star! I love that you let that encounter motivate you to KILL IT even more than normal! Another reason why I stalk you... watch you sleep... uhhh I mean... read your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome, you did great! How could anyone not like you? You are one of the sweetest and prettiest bloggers I know! :) If you do decide to do the race this weekend (which I think you should), good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are awesome! Great job on the race. I know that I'd probably skip the race this Saturday, but knowing you, I'm pretty sure you'll do it and get home in time for the shower. ;)

    By the way, whoever it is that doesn't like you must be CRAY CRAY! Happy Monday Mel!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. PERFECTION!!! I'm pretty much always happy or cracking up and I don't like peeps trying to pull me down. Smiling at ol' crotchety homegirl with the grudge was soooo something I would have done. And an extra A+ for using that motivation to get a fantastic race time. Woohoo. Haters can be motivaters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. AWESOME PACE, lady! I hope Ms. Sour Face choked on your dust!

    I would totally run the race this weekend if I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome that you got a PR!!!! Wahoo! I used to drink energy drinks before running back when I didn't eat much because I legit needed the energy and didn't care that my heart felt 2 beats away from a heart attack!! Now I just eat!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE that race shirt! Go and run your heart out and brush your hair for the shower...you know you look fab with pigtails and red lipstick so that's all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Um, 7th in your age group!
    Phenomenal!
    And your time is awesome!

    Do the race this Saturday! Cos that race shirt is hella cute!!!
    I wanna run it just to get that shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Get as much as possible done the night before then run that bitch! :)

    Love your race story!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with Erin above me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. semi-new follower here!
    way to go! you are very inspiring. i have never been much of a runner but reading your blog gives me motivation that anyone can do it!
    btw - LOVES that race shirt. do it!

    xoxo
    -lisa
    simplekindofwonderful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so fast! Good job!

    I would run the race and hurry home. =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Music at a race gets varying reviews - personally, I love it, especially at aide stations!

    Wait, someone hates you, and they run? Thought endorphins prevented hate.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats Mel on your PR! Damntastic!! I say go for the race on Saturday and do the speedy 'getting ready' plan!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Get it, girl! I love your "kill 'em with kindness" attitude. Haters are definitely some great motivators! (SN: did I just say haters?) Makes me think of that T.I. song "Motivation." Anyway, congrats on a great race! And, maybe I'm an over-planner, but I'd skip the race...you got the shirt and it's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I ran my butt off at work all weekend! Does that count? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dayyyyum, Marion Jones with the 8 minute miles!! Good job, Mel! I need to get on your level!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Holy speedy pants! That's kick butt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That girl giving you the stink eye was really thinking "Gawd, why is she so fit, pretty, and happy...." Way to give her hell!!! Congrats on your race!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Why people still use to read news papers when in this technological globe all is accessible on web?


    Here is my web blog - continue reading

    ReplyDelete