Tuesday, April 9, 2013

GO St. Louis Half Marathon Race Re-cap

Sunday, April 7th was the GO St. Louis Half Marathon that I have NOT been training for. Yes you heard that right - I truly haven't been following any plan - I just have been kind of  "winging" my own runs here and there. I trained my tail off for my last half. You can read about it HERE. Honestly I never really thought about this race until the week of - I never even signed up.. hahaha. I had to run down, in person, to the Expo last week and sign up because I missed online registration - womp.womp.womp - and I certainly NEVER looked at the elevation of this race - check it out HERE.

I will recap this weekend shenanigans in another post - today is all about RACE DAY!!!!

Sunday woke up at 4:30 AM and got my booty together. I always lay out my clothes, shoes, bib, accessories, hair stuff, etc... the night before, so when I wake up all I have to do is just "do" and not think. Keeps my stress level down. The weather forecast was chilly and rainy - so I planned on wearing my running capri's and long sleeve pull over.



I got myself together - ate an English muffin, orange, and string cheese - downed a ton of water and a cup of coffee (my usual routine) - and out the door I went... Laura (blogless;) was picking me up... We met Holly, Laura, Lora and Meredith at a commuter lot and followed one another downtown. Parked, headed off to use the restrooms, and get into our corrals.




The race started and guess what? the rain never came and the sun started beating down on me and what was I wearing? a flippin LONG SLEEVE JACKET! Oh it was 70+ degrees and I could feel the sweat dripping off of me and the sun BEATING on my face. I kept pushing through. Thank GAWD the pic that Ashley and Chris took of me... I was actually wearing my jacket.... (I am in front of the girl with the green jacket)

Sorry Ash - stole this pic from you... LOL
At mile 6 I couldn't take the heat anymore and I had to take the jacket off and tie it around my waist. I ran the last part of the race in a SPORTS BRA!!! Oh yes - you heard it - I ran in a bra... I felt SOOOOOO dumb, but it felt so good to get that hot thing OFF me. The whole time I kept thinking "OMG I am shirtless - OMG I am shirtless" and "When do these hills end?"... I popped some GU Chomps at mile 8 and headed along my merry way. The hills never ended, the heat never ceased, I couldn't get enough water, and I was still topless. GAH!!! BUT I made it. First thing I did after the race - PUT THAT JACKET BACK ON and hug my cheer squad - Ashley (story to follow in an upcoming post)...


Met up with all girls (and Ross and Hubby Jack) - as we all finished one by one - and we stuffed our faces with pretzels, bananas, ice cream, water, etc....


We headed to the car - where I immediately took off my shoes and put ON my ProCompression socks. I really believe these socks help with recovery. I love them and will be ordering more soon. We headed to Hooters for some grub and celebratory cocktails... Yes I looked like this in the restaurant - no I did NOT care.



My official race time - 2:13 - not great BUT considering this course was extremely difficult - I will take it. Plus I didn't stop ONCE - once I knew how hard this course was going to be - I just wanted to finish with NO stopping and I did! YAY!!! I read this article HERE and thought - you know what? WE KILLED IT! All in all, this race was by far the hardest course I have ever ran and I am so proud of the girls that ran this course for their 1st half - they were amazing!!! So proud of everyone... and what do you do when you finish a half - SIGN UP FOR THE NEXT ONE OF COURSE.

So I will be racing this ONE in Indiana on Sept 28th and this ONE here in St. Louis on October 13th. Then I am getting myself prepared for my 1st Full Marathon in 2014. I am "thinking" I might be heading to Houston for this ONE.

Have A Great Day

32 comments:

  1. Holla!!! My half Saturday was REALLY hilly too!! Damn those hills!!! You rocked it girl! Can't wait to read everyone else's recaps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2:13 is awesome for not training and the hills!! And you totally beat me on the no walking thing! Nice job lady! ... and Im curious where you saw the wacky forecast that said cold and rain! Ha. I admit when I saw you I was all "She doesnt have a shirt on! Go Mel!" ha. I admit I contemplated it multiple times thru out the race but I did not have a long sleeve shirt on and had no idea what to do with my shirt then...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're coming to the Hoosier state? Freakin A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did awesome!!! I would have DIED if I had to run in a bra!!! haha... but I am sure you looked amazing!!! I live in Houston!!! I would love to cheer you on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so awesome. I am always so impressed by those who can run. I just can't run. At least not right now...my poor knees. But- woohoo way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG MEL I am dong the half in September with you bishes... It's my birthday month and I figured what better way to celebrate than signing up for a half, running my legs off, and possibly losing some toes?! PS I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!! Did you get my cray cray video text from yesterday? GO REDLEGS LOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What!!! You did amazing. Of course I don't know what you did at your last half but amazing girl!!! And I would have rather passed out than run in a bra I guess my many layers (big boob problems) that I wear would have come in handy. Ha ha so proud of you!! Great job on your goals!! First full for me will be in Sept. to say I'm alittle scared would be an understatement. But if I'm not training for something I'm not motivated. So glad my running is year round! Grat job girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU'RE REALLY COMING TO RUN IT WITH ME?!?!?!?! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited! I better sign up to actually make it official!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go!!! Looks like you guys had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you'll be coming to Indiana for a half! So close to good 'ole Ohio...might need to plan another blogger meet up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job girl! Topless and all!! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go!!! Awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bra!?!? You are a sexyyyy beast!!!! Lol!!! Mother Nature hates you as much as she does me!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your time is amazing. I hate hills. I think it's better to not look ahead and the elevation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on the race! And good luck on your first full! Someday, I hope to run a full. Someday...
    Question for you: what brand of running capri/pants do you like? I am having the hardest time finding ones that I like.
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish I was ballsy enough to run in just a sports bra. You are my new idol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You my dear are freakin amazing! I think you had an awesome time especially with hills and hot as balls??? wow! I think I am going to sign up for my first 5k soon as long as the training keeps going ok for me, I so want to get on your level haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you finishing that race! And I'm sure you rocked it out in your bra haha I love that! Can't be overheating!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm thinking you need to travel to Bama for a race. Or maybe run one in Nashville or something then I can totes come and cheer you on! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So proud of you! Sad I didn't get to meet up with the cool blogger girls this weekend!! We need to have a girls night out sooN!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Don't go to Houston for the full, come to NOLA and do the Rock N Roll FULL marathon with me! It's all flat flat down here and the after party is the best! I literally laughed out loud at your "I'm shirtless, I'm shirtless" I see people doing it all the time, but I just don't think I could go there. Unless I had no choice like you. Then to hell with modesty, loved this recap!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You rocked this half, even if you were without shirt for some of the race, no biggie, I'm sure you weren't the only one!!

    OMG you're coming to Indiana! I'm going to try like no other to get my butt up to Ft. Wayne that weekend to see you and meet Ashley! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  23. "OMG I am shirtless..." Haha....Go girl!!!!!
    Great time!!
    And I kind of want to do the one in October with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are awesomely amazing! And I'm not sure why you were embarrassed to be shirtless, Hottie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would have totally gone shirtless too girl!! I am planning on going to Indy to meet you ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kudos to you for running that thing in a sports bra! woohoo! lol And you should go ahead and just add the St Jude marathon to your half (or full) list. It's in Dec so you totally won't have to run in your bra, promise! lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Damn! I missed the shirtless show. But seriously, thank you so much for motivating me to do this... and making it look easy. That was a good arm twist on your part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Of course you rocked the shit out of this race, Mel! You make me want to run one sooo so bad. PS. What brand of Compression Socks do you have? I ma have just missed it in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are amazing!! No training, crazy heat, HILLS and you still had a great time! Awesome! And you signed up for more?!! Seriously you kick butt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Okay, since I missed the party in STL, it sounds like I'll have to go to Indiana! Seriously, running in a sports bra or not (and I'm sure you looked amazing while doing it, you hottie you) it sounds like it was a tough course and you rocked it! Can't wait to hear all about the weekend recap.

    ReplyDelete