Monday, May 13, 2013

GOTR Race Recap

Saturday, May 11th I ran the Girls On The Run 5k in downtown St. Louis. Let me first explain what this race is all about... Grade school girls train for 10 weeks and run this race with their teachers, parents, friends, etc... It really is an AMAZING race to kick start your kids running career;) Now... Elle would of got 2 minutes out and said "I am hot Mom and I think that restaurant over there sells latte's and has AC". So I am pretty much putting my racing dreams aside for my daughter...

Holly and Chris met me the morning of the race, and we drove downtown. I tried to pull a Kim and drink a Red Bull before the race. She swears they make her run SUPER fast... Oh I drank it all right - along with the coffee I had earlier and pretty much felt like a SPAZ - in addition to my already CRAZY self. Red Bull + Mel = death to HJ... LOL... After parking and walking, we hit up the Johnnie's and pushed our way up to the front of the race start - yep... Chris wanted to have NOTHING to do with that, but WOMENS won out on that one - FRONT AND CENTER!

Where is HJ?... LOL
I had my "Back that Azz Up" Pandora station blaring and we stretched - YEAH RIGHT - we watched a 10 year old girl do some push ups in front of us... Then off we went - I went out pretty fast for me - that Red Bull had me FLYING and then shaking with a headache when I hit mile ONE. I am NOT used to those drinks - honestly I don't like energy drinks at ALL, but hey... I tried it...

It was a gorgeous morning - cool and sunny. Mile 2 the sun was beating on me and of course I was DYING of heat and the HILLS started - it brought me back to my GO St. Louis Half. AGH!!! Same freaking course... So I turned up my "Ying Yang Twins - Salt Shaker" and pumped my arms and little legs until mile 3.1 where the finish line was. I watched Dad's running with their daughters, teachers cheering on their girls, friends running with friends, and I ADORED it... Hit the finish line - grabbed a banana and some water and ran into Kim... We both agreed - it was HOT and hilly but so amazing watching the kids...


We waited a bit for Holly and Chris - and then they appeared... and I immediately could tell something went WRONG... Read about what happened - Holly's Version HERE. Chris's Version HERE. I am going to let them tell the story...


Chris did stop for a POST RACE Picture though... Rocking his Girls on the Run Medal...


So hopefully you read what happened - we immediately jetted and headed home. I felt so bad for the both of them... ugh... that is the WORST.... Came home and looked up my time... - Not too shabby folks...


If you race with me - can you please remind me that they take pics at the finish line.... AND to never wear this outfit again... K? K.. Please and Thank you...

HIDEOUS....

Race this weekend? PR? Pre-Race Drink?

25 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, race pics are the worst! Pretty sure they should let you finish, then stop and smile before they snap the picture. Your time was awesome, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the red bull is a no go for you.... And I loved your outfit!! You can give it to me..ha. And I totally got the stomach bug later that day.... Hit me at the cards game and outing all night. Watch out! Makes sense why I felt the run felt so darn hard and miserable to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh I'm not used to those drinks either and I would go crazy seriously lol. Great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great time Mel! Did you wear your compression socks? How do you like them? I am still debating buying some! Do you drink spark? I just bought some!! Uh-oh....going to find out what happened with HJ and Holly...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look adorable!!! I love the skirt- I have yet to get me one. Race pics are never good. I always am trying to keep an eye out for camera's though on the race course- or just try to smile at all times, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you look that amazing after running any miles?! Thats all I have to say! Happy Monday Gorgeous!
    XOXO
    Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blech, Red Bull! I think it tastes like boiled down Smarties. Yuck! But at least you had fun at the race, despite the caffeine, sun, and hills! I love your impression of Elle at a race! :)

    I have to hop on over and read the Stanfields' recaps--so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could be a model. Shut your face grace. Love ya and you did awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You killed it! I read the other stories...UGH that kind of illness and running do not mix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WORK! Great job on your 5k chica!

    My sole sista got me ADDICTED to Gu Roctane Ultra Endurance pre race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Mel! I'm not a big fan of energy drinks either, my hubby loves Monsters and I can't even stand the smell of them. I love the GOTR, its such a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate red bull!
    Unless it's mixed with jäger!
    And I always look HORRIBLE in any race pictures! I want one... Just ONE nice looking running pic!
    Great time, mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What's wrong with your race attire?? You look fabulous AND you rocked that run! Great time! 38. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so your outfit is not hideous but that race picture something is definately wrong there. I think they did what widescreen tv's do. It looks like they widened you out because girlfriend you look nothing like that picture!! Great job on your race and sucky for mr & mrs Stanfeild. Poor things

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great race time, girl! High fives on wiping the floor with HJ's face!haha Granted he was off to the side blowing chunks I still think you would have been beat if he was feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are gorgeous and entirely too hard on yourself (what's wrong with your outfit?!)! Congrats on such a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh! This makes me excited to do my GOTR race in 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a GREAT idea for a run. How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sure beat me Mel....guess we should put money on the next race???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a fun race with good energy! Way to go! Off the read about Holly and HJ's race....you've got me curious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! That last picture!! You were husslin'!!!

    ReplyDelete