Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Balance...

You all know that I am a Full Time Working Mom and to keep my sanity I workout/run and occasionally engage in some fun;) First and foremost, I am a mom (Holly and Laura you know what I am talking about;) - my kids come in numero uno... So where do I find the time to still have fun and/or keep up my physical activity?

I am not going to go on my "soapbox" or get into all the nitty gritty. I am simply going to explain where I find the time and how I try and "manage" this... There will always be people who don't understand and/or differ with their opinion and that is okay....

Now... I play dump truck, eat snow cones with them, teach Elle soccer, play catch with Wes man, and all that momma jazz... I make breakfast, lunch (when not at a daycare), dinner, wash, clean, etc... Yes... I keep up my house, work 40 hrs a week, and take care of my babies... I am a MOM remember?





BUT... my kids also know how important working out and running are to me... They know that is something that mom needs in her life and they understand. When I workout in the basement - their play-room is down there, so they are down there with me and we have our fun times "together". If you have the opportunity to do this - DO IT... They can play/you can workout -  and you all can still be together. Perfect...

When I run - they know "Mommy is going running" and ask me to "win" or "beat the girl that just ran past the house". LOL... It makes me proud to hear them say "Mommy going running?" - yep she is...

Okay... here is how I balance things out...
During the week I either get up at 4:20 A.M. and do my workout/running in the basement before everyone gets up OR I wait until Wes is asleep and go down in the evenings with Elle.
On the weekend - we all workout together, when convenient, and I get my "outside runs" in, in the morning. Thankfully I have a great running partner (Laura) and we meet up in the A.M. and have our sweat/rant sessions together.

I take ONE off a day during the work week - usually Wednesday... and that helps keep me sane...

It's all about finding the time for those things that are important to you... When you need something in your life - you find the time for it. Everyone will understand or come around eventually - and if not... honestly, at this point in my life, I probably don't need them around.

It's hard balancing it all, but in the words of one of my BEST friends... "It is what it is" and you can either make it happen or not - that's YOUR choice...

And....

Tomorrow I will be linking up with Holly and Jake for "A Letter to my 21 year old self". What a fun link-up - if interested go check it out...

button

Wednesday OUT

How do you balance it all? Gym in your house? What physical activity do you do with your kids?

28 comments:

  1. So proud to call you friend. One day I will see 420 am.... just not TOday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I try to balance things out but it doesn't always work, ha ha. I try to tell Savannah that I run to be healthy, and she is constantly saying, "I want to be healthy!" I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not easy but us full time working Mamas just simply have to find the time for ourselves and make it happen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like a super mom to me!! :) Your kids are so damn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! You can fit it all in if you really want to. Some days are more difficult than others and you just have to roll with it. I do the same as you except I mostly workout during nap time or after Harper is in bed for the night. Oh and 4:20? what a curious time to hangout alone in your basement to "workout" HAHA No wonder you are so chill! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't buy it. I'm convinced you have Father Time hog-tied in a closet somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to find a balance, but we make it work! You do always find time for the things that are important to you. I admire your ability to make it work! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a momma yet (plz God one day before my eggs die), but I cannot wrap my brain around everything mothers do AND still make time for themselves. It is truly selfless. And sounds like you are one awesome momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe you get up that early to work out. That is dedication! I don't have kids yet, but we plan to start trying next year, and I've already wondered how I'm going to balance it out because I feel like I barely have time now! I do feel lucky that I can work out during my lunch break and I think that's what I'm going to have to rely on for a while after I have kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anyone that criticizes you must not read about your 4am club...it's apparent to me when you squeeze in time to maintain your health, I thought it would be to everyone! It's too bad we feel the need to judge one another, rather than just support. One of my favorite quotes, "Comparison kills contentment." We all have different lives, goals, priorities, etc, but they are OUR OWN CHOICES! Keep motivating the rest of us:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! You kick some serious booootay miss thang! Reminds me I have no excuses to get those workouts in :)

    Love the cutie kid pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ugh balance...i;m always trying to find it. I remember it was so easy without kids lol. You are such a good example of finding balance with kids and still being able to workout and party it up once in a while!
    I workout at a gym that has a day care. I've been thinking of getting a treadmill for when the baby comes but i don't know if I would actually do it at home. I like getting out of the house.

    If anyone is "judging" youre lifestyle well they can go suck cow balls because you are an amazing mom! they can shut it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. excuse all my grammar/spelling typos ^^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post Mel! :) Very true- we make time for the things that are important to us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of those posts that I will have to keep in the back of my mind in about a year if/when I feel the "mommy guilt" while I workout and leave my baby with my husband or sitter. You can tell by all of your pictures and posts that you are a great mom. Your kids always look happy and like they are having the time of their lives, so you are clearly doing it right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't take a lunch(well, Ieat lunch while working at my desk)so that I can leave an hour early at 4pm. I head to the gym and workout for an hour. I still get home before the hubby arrives from picking up our daughter. Occassionally I take her into our office that has an elliptical and she and I watch her fav cartoon while I exercise. My health, sanity, and sexiness depend on my workouts.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Preach it sista!!! There's also this thing called a dad. I know your hubs travels or stars in movies not as Stanley Tucci, but I think haters forget about that. That's how my hubs and I balance it. He has qt with kiddos and I go run, or my booty is up at 4 on Saturday getting it done, and it's good for our kids to see us being healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post and very well written!! I agree with all of the above and if you really want to, you make time for it. You're a great mom and fitness inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! Thank you! My son is 15 months old and it took me a long time to find my routine again. Zumba is what helped me. I had a scheduled time to go and friends to meet. I am now doing Zumba, running with girl friends, and Lindsey Brin's Pretty Fierce Weight Loss DVD set. I just look at my week and figure out what time I will need to work out. It doesn't always work, but I am trying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You can tell by the looks on your kids' faces in the pictures you post that they are not suffering by your working out. It's obvious to anyone that stops by your blog you are a wonderful mother. Our playroom is in the basement as well. We have an elliptical and treadmill down there. I feel so much better working out when I can see my daughter's face, know she's having fun, and know we are all together. And she is learning the importance of working out and being healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The fact that you get up at 4:20 still blows my mind. Crazy woman! However, it is extremely apparent to anyone with one good eye how much you love and adore your family and how much you do for them (even if E shies away from pictures). Such a good message.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Greetings! Very useful аdviсe wіthin this аrticle!
    It іs the littlе сhanges that
    make the moѕt important changes. Manу thanκs
    for ѕharing!

    My wеb-site; Rеаd Us ()

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fastіdious геѕρonԁ in rеturn of this quегу wіth ѕolіd arguments and exрlainіng the whοlе thing сoncerning that.



    Аlso visit my ωеb blog 888 Poker Offer

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could not agree more. If you want IT, you will find a way to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post! You are a great mom and a great inspiration. Yes, it's hard to fit it all in but if you want it you can totally do it.

    ReplyDelete