Monday, June 17, 2013

GO STL 5K All American Race Re-cap

Sunday - June 16th was the Go St. Louis 5K All American Race that I had been signed up for - for quite sometime... I wanted to run a short race in a different area in St. Louis, rather than the usual in downtown STL. This race was in Kirkwood - you ran from Kirkwood - Webster... Beautiful  homes, flat course, and a smaller race...

Woke up at 5:10 a.m. - got myself together (ate a Luna bar, piece of string cheese, downed a ton of water, and drank my pre-race coffee) and headed out the door to my SIL's house to meet with the group I was running with. When I woke up it was raining and HUMID as hell... Still telling myself I MUST hit this race at 26 minutes or under....


I was running this race with my SIL (first race since having her son 10 weeks ago), her brother (first race EVER), and their friend Stephanie... We arrived in Kirkwood - hit up the Johnny's and stood in the pouring rain until the race started.



Now.... I noticed something... these runners were not what I typically see at races.. I mean these runners, people, these runners.... 98% of them were in TIP TOP shape AND.... in lululemon gear. If you live in St. Louis you get my joke... If not... Kirkwood be the rich area.... "says the girl from South County".

So we started the race with the "Star Spangled Banner" - unfortunately I couldn't hear it because my "Back that Azz up" radio was blaring the Ying Yang Twins... and the race started with a little 2Pac...

I went out too FAST (why do I do this? I know better) the first mile I looked at my watch and I ran it in 7:41 - for real... WHY??? I know to go out slower and then speed up at the end - I just HATE dodging those people in the beginning.... and want AWAY from the crowd and FAST... So I push through fast to have my "open road" BUT it takes a toll on me... AND... the humidity was HIGH... I told myself to slow my roll on the 2nd and 3rd mile - so I did... I ran the second mile right around 8:30 and then the 3rd around 8:40 something...

I did partake in the water station around mile 2 and I TRIED to tell myself to STOP looking at my watch and stop the mind games... the humidity was making my breathing HEAVY... but I pushed through... 

I finished in 26:41... Yes a PR and a great run - I ran hard... I mean FREAKING HARD!!! but I know that last mile I could of pushed it more... I KNOW this... I could of sped up and gunned it... but I didn't - I kept telling myself "this humidity is choking the crap out of you" and that weighed out in my mind more than my "Mel motivation thoughts". Ugh... Whomp.Whomp.Whomp... Mel's "motivation Thoughts" 0 - Mel's "your going to die thoughts" 1.


The race itself was great. The course was EXCELLENT for PR running and I love that this race was smaller. At the end there was the typical food, water, etc... and BOMB POPS - I mean come on - who wouldn't run 3.1 miles for a flippin BOMB POP? I will do this race again... yes I will... and I WILL get under 26 min - maybe even next year around 24 min;)

So proud of my SIL for getting back out there just 10 weeks postpartum and for her brother and his first race under his belt.... So wonderful experiencing this with the BOTH of them...



Side Note***... Don't wear your race bib on your back and think your race photos will be of you... I went in to go look at mine on the internet and yep... Not me... it was the lady behind me... Oh well - one less sick pic of me floating around out there;)

Happy Running....

Run this weekend? PR? Ever feel disappointed not meeting your goal?

25 comments:

  1. I've never ran for a PR. I'm always the running cheerleader! I run with my kids and usually have a stroller but as I get more serious, I'm finally feeling ready to ditch all that just to see what I can do! Today I start the 30 Day Shred (just kill me now!), I have been warned that I may need a walker by the end of the week! Just hoping that I can stay motivated... between Jillian killing me at lunch and C25K at night I'm gonna be exhausted! But no more excuses...my size 8's are no longer baggy and I'm not ok with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great time!! I would kill for that time! I got the lululemon thing and I don't even live there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job girl! I don't even want to SIT and breathe in humidity. Congrats for pushing through.

    I don't understand dishing out the cash for lululemon just so it can display your butt sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love smaller races and you had a great time! AND IN THE RAIN! Hardcore mama, hardcore for real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go!!! In the rain and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome! Great job on the PR. Nice to see my times fit with other's. Thought I was a slow old fart since my son runs a 5:45 mile. WTH? Why? Will just stick with my 8ish/mi! Nice job Mel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super fast woman!! Congrats on the PR:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started pinning my numbers on the front, too--took me a few races to realize that mistake! :)

    Your PR is so impressive! And humidity is very tough to run in--it's really hard to stay hydrated in that kind of weather. So that makes your PR even more impressive, Ms. Speed Demon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. way to go that's such a great PR! I always run a 30 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Job Mel! Great recap! I PR'd at my race this weekend....40:21! Not anywhere close to your's but I am proud of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are quite the little speed demon, great job on the PR! I always start out too fast, I just cannot get the hang of pacing myself but that's what practice runs are for, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great time!!
    And I 100% agree with you about trying to get away from all the people ASAP!! I feel like I can't relax until I have no one anywhere near me!! I love open space in a race! So I go out fast on my first mile too!!
    And I'm thinking about doing a post about my race photos and how AWFUL I look in them!
    1. I just want 1 where I look like a legit supermodel runner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did amazing! Running in humidity is TOUGH, enjoy that PR girl, even if its not what you wanted, its still a PR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! Your making us slow runners look bad. Lol. And seriously do you ever take a bad picture. Awesome job for your SIL. And yes I've been mad about meeting my goal but still happy I ran:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GERDDDDD.... Seriously?! You be fast woman!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa look at that fast laday go!! Way to rock it, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to go! I LOATHED the humidity. I feel like I am freakin' drowning. I applaud you even racing let alone PR'ing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Um, congrats on your super awesome amazing time lady!! And I love your recap - youre inspiring to slowbies out there like me :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe you eat all of that before a race! How long after you eat do you run??
    Also, I know what you mean about starting too fast. But looking back do you think you could have kept up with that pace the other 2 miles? I always wonder for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way to go Mel! You are AMAZING and INSPIRING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aaaahhh! Another PR in the healthy living bloggy blog world!! Lovin' it, today! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on the PR!! That's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the PR! If you like races that are a little different, check out the NFL Series Rams 5K. http://nflrunseries.com/rams/ You actually end at the 50 yard line! I got a team together to do it.

    ReplyDelete