Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Time It Wasn't Me and a STL Meetup

Background... 
I pitch crap... like EVERYTHING... You wouldn't want to call me the "sentimental" type. I will read your card, tear up a tad, but guess what - it goes in the trash... The Christmas cards with your kids face next to your tree...I will ewwww and ahhhhh and then, sorry, but it goes in the GARBOLA (fancy for trash)... The Precious Moment you gift me from the Hallmark... sorry, it's re-gifted to someone's grandma... I just don't collect, keep, and or find material things very sentimental... I swear I have a soul - REALLY!!! Now... I do appreciate the sweet thoughts and mementos, but I keep the memories in my head - cause more things to collect in my house and me just don't mix. **To each their own if you love this stuff - I think that is great and wonderful - just not for me**

Now... I do have a few outfits from the kids that I kept in their memory box - which has 2 things a piece... I have a blanket/doll my grandma CLAIMS she crocheted, BUT she has dementia, so who really knows? My communion dress I kept for Elle that she probably will not like and won't wear.. And... I kept E's pound puppy "Spot" and Cabbage Patch Kid "Oswald" from a child, that his parents gave me... BUT... honestly besides that, I.JUST.DON'T.KEEP.THINGS.


Now... if you want to know where I started this PITCH EVERYTHING mentality - ask my mom... she has a room dedicated to QVC boxes, mail from 1999, and Christmas trees that she HAD to have - you know we all need 12 of them?... Love you Mom...

Story...
My license plates were up for renewal end of July this year. I did my safety and emissions test a few weekends ago and Pearl passed (ugh... you know I want a new car so bad I can taste that Acura taste). So... I was planning on going to the license bureau on Monday (yes July 29th - I procrastinate - oh well). I get my little card out and read the items I need to purchase my renewal. I need my 2011 and 2012 personal property tax receipts, current vehicle insurance, and safety and emissions papers.

I have my insurance card, the safety/emissions papers, and I head to the office in my house to find my receipts. We get our taxes done each year by the same company and they have everything laid out so nicely in these manilla folders (labeled by year) - so I know where EVERYTHING is. I open the file, labeled so nicely, "Old Tax Forms" and guess what... There is ONE folder in there from 2012. Thinking to myself  "this can't be - E must of moved them into the office closet to make room".

I call down to E to ask where the old tax documents are and he says "I don't know". Now he NEVER says "I don't know" he knows where EVERYTHING is... right down to the last penny on our spreadsheet;) So... I of course know something is up... He stumbles around in the office acting like he is looking for the folders and I abruptly say "Did you pitch them?" - he gets flustered and sternly says "It was so crowded in the files - I started pitching things". YEP he freakin pitched EVERY SINGLE tax document we had from the beginning of time... WHAT??????????????? Who does this???????? "Pot calling the kettle black"...

Moral of the story..
We have no tax documents prior to 2012 - if we get audited we go to JAIL. Since E pitched everything I needed, HE was then in charge of going to the bureau and getting my plates renewed, and... he only got a ONE year plate renewal.. cause he knew if he came home with the TWO year plate renewal (means Mel won't get a new car next year) it would make for a very unhappy ending and some "pitching" of things from his garage.

------------------------------------

AND if you still like me after the story above:)... THIS SATURDAY BABY... My girl Holly from Where We Can Live Like Jack & Sally is ready for a meet up.... One of my favorites Ashleigh from Life In Bloom is in town for some Lou fun. I am also hoping my girl Becky and Ashley are down for some fun too. AND... it's part of my B-Day fun... Mike Shannon's downtown at 4:30 p.m.

It's a Blogger/IG/Whomever Meet up

This could just be a fun way to meet people and enjoy the Cards vs. Reds game on the big screen, while downing some good beverages. Game starts at 6:05 P.M. YAY!!!! Looking forward to meeting anyone who comes. COME... pretty please with a cherry on top:)

24 comments:

  1. You're awesome! So refreshing to hear others pitch stuff too. My parents have 3 "garage in a box" units in their back yard and it's disgusting. Mom's reasoning, "if I use it once in 10 yrs it's worth it." Hmm...good thing I love bonfires!!! Mel, you're not alone. It's perfectly okay to treasure the memories in your head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way girl... I hate "stuff" cluttering up my house and my life! A few things that have sentimental value for the kids but other than that, sorry, buh-bye! You're soo not alone in that department!

    Also? I wish I lived in the STL so I could go to happy hour with you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the same page with you the cards. Nice moment then trash can central. Have a blast on Saturday! Wish I was closer to meet up. I am told that we will most definitely get along great in real life from that cute little Holly S. Not that I had any doubts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could throw things away! I try. Sometimes I wait a little while then pitch stuff. ugh! You ladies have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA I'm the same way! My mom gets mad at me because I pawn or donate like, everything I haven't worn in six months, even if it was a gift. Someone else could use it! Sorry about your tax stuff tho :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I guess I should take back the Precious Moments figurine from Hallmark that I bought you for your birthday haha! I can't throw anything away, I wish I could!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! We'll bail you out when you & E get thrown in the slammer. I'm excited (and terrified) for Saturday - your ass better be going to that concert or else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pitch everything. I hate clutter, I hate messes. Augh it makes me itchy thinking about it.

    My husband on the other hand... oh my goodness. He was 4 months worth of Sunday newspapers hoarded up in his office because he wants to read them. WTF?

    Needless to say, I do not go in his office. My sanity cannot take it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pitch EVERYTHING too! When my husband can't find something... his first thought is that I threw it away. (And I probably did) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  10. So wish I could come to the Lou this weekend! But being tax free weekend, this momma is headed to Branson to outfit the kiddos for school. You ladies have a blast! Do another one soon, please!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You don't want to see my basement...apparently I have issues with throwing boxes away. And I am talking every shape of box, known to man. I still have the box Drew's stroller came in! ummmm...he is 8! Yep, it's bad. BUT....I did get them ready to take to the recycling place. Now I just need to get Ray to do that, for me! :)

    You girls have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Note to self...a simple email for your birthday will do. No card. It will be a waste of $4.99. Haha!!! I don't like a lot of clutter either! I feel ya! I am CONSTANTLY taking a bag to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The company that does your taxes would have most likely kept a copy of your taxes, ask them for a copy if you need them. Otherwise it should be in their computer system, and they can get you a copy that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My father is a Grade A Hoarder. He will not throw ANYTHING away. I remember thinking "Does he not see all this mess around the house?"
    This, in turn, has caused me to be a tosser. I don't hold on to much. I've gotten in trouble on more than one occassion with my loved ones for tossing out their things(useless items they hadn't used in years). I feel like I can't breath when I am surrounded by junk. Who wants to live that way? NOT THIS GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The one weekend I am out of town and there is a meet-up. Grr!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG, I'd be panicked!!! Or I'd just call the tax guys and ask if they could get another copy. :) Eek! And don't they refund the remaining mnths on your licensing down there if you get a new car?? They do here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! You guys sound just like my husband and I! I don't keep anything-my mom keeps EVERYTHING! And I want a new car soooo bad too but my husband keeps insisting there is nothing wrong with my hoopty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. At the current moment, I am scheduled to work from 11 thru dinner. I will keep my fingers crossed that I will get cut early enough that I can join you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a few boxes of things from childhood, and I keep things like glasses/dishes from grandparents, but daily I am tossing shizz because MFD is a HOARDER. I can't take it.

    New car here you come! Sometimes screw ups are good! hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  20. I throw everything away. My mom kept everything and it bothered me. She wasn't as bad as the people from the show Hoarders but still embarrassing enough to not want to bring friends over. Less is more right? I did hold onto some memories but they are consolidated to two totes in my basement... They are things I can give a daughter (if God blesses me with one) to play with.

    The STL meet up sounds like a blast. I would soooo have tried to be there to meet you guys in person but it is my families 67th Annual Family Reunion. Have a blast ladies and I will try to make it to the next meet up in the STL area.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would have to say I throw a lot away but I do keep some stuff. Gets really bad when I packing to move. When I pack pretty much everything gets tossed lol.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I pitch things, too, and I blame it all on my hoarder mother. She is the type that someday will be on the show with a path through her house. For real! I am so bad, my kids will see their school papers/projects in the trash and cry. Now I know to bury those suckers way down deep! --Becky

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am soooo close to STL...wish I could meet up this weekend. I'm a teacher and with the start of the school year coming things are crazy busy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh my, my grandmother has absolutely EVERYTHING from my childhood. When I had an 80s party to go to, I had authentic NKOTB buttons, a denim purse made from my old jeans, a whoop there it is Tshirt, and Keds with puff paint! (that didn't fit). And that is why I throw stuff away. I don't pitch everything, but I definitely don't hang onto things like my family does. And fingers crossed for the white Acura! Love those!

    ReplyDelete