Monday, September 30, 2013

Fort4Fitness Race Re-cap

Saturday, Sept 28th I ran my fourth half marathon in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I felt fairly well prepared for this one. I have been following my training plan consistently and even took two days off of running before the race, to let my legs relax before the big day.

Woke up early...drank my coffee, water, and this time I only ate half a banana before the race. We had, had a nice Italian meal the night before and I was still full when I woke up. I brought along Luna bars but my stomach was saying "no bueno" when I looked at the box... so I skipped it. I was not nervous for this race - I was PUMPED. I was running this race with my good friends and that makes all the difference in the world - plus I was in a different state (yes Holls, not Illinois;) so if I looked stupid - no one knew me - great philosophy, I know;) AND... I didn't wear my watch so no obsessive focusing on my dang wrist - just time to enjoy the pavement pounding.


Our hotel was in walking distance from the race and I LOVED this. I think that was much less stress in the morning than worrying about driving, parking, where everything was, etc... We all got ourselves ready and off we walked to the start. It was a great chilly morning - which you know I love. We met up with all the gals, used the restroom, downed more water, and shimmied our booties into our corrals.  

I remember the race starting and my legs just went... my music was playing some awesome jams... and Brandi and I were killing it. I was taking in the surroundings and watching all the runners. When I saw the 3 mile sign it kind of caught me off guard - it had only felt like a minute since we started. There were AMPLE water stations at each 1.5 miles and the volunteers were AMAZING. It really had me motivated. I was waving at the spectators and slapping hands with the kids as we passed. One of my favorite parts of running, enjoying those around you. Get them hype - so they get you hype... Reciprocation baby!

I hit mile 5 and the clock read 45:20 - a 9:04 pace - and I thought NO WAY baby... this race is falling into place NICELY... I kept up with the 2 hr pacers - I just ran right behind them - but it was crowded and I was dodging people and that was NOT MY CUP OF TEA. So I pulled back a bit, enjoyed the beautiful neighborhoods we were running through, ate my GU chomps around mile 8, and watched the people sweat their faces off. Mile 10 read 1:32 - a 9:13 pace and I thought - yep... this race is it.

At mile 11 my legs started feeling like bricks - I kept shaking them to get them moving. I was slowing down and I could feel it - but I kept pushing through. NO STOPPING... I kept telling myself that. I rounded the fort sprinting/breathing heavy and BOOM - 2:02 was my finish time. My last 5K I slowed a lot - it was around a 9:52 pace - but hey... whatever, the first 10 miles I was GOLDEN and I LOVED IT! Met up with everyone on center field and enjoyed our post race treats. Stretched and squealed as I got that PR I was so badly wanting.

Brandi, Ash, and I
I absolutely love this race. So well organized, ample water stations, the volunteers and spectators were amazing, fairly flat course, and the weather was phenomenal. The only thing I wish they would of had were "gels" around mile 7 or 8. Luckily I had my own, but it would of saved me from digging in my pocket to find them. I will be back next year - I think this will be an annual run for me, plus my bestie Ash is there - nuff said.
_____________________________________________

I will be back with more of the "weekend shenanigans" in another post - plus I have something really awesome coming. YAY!!!! Oh... and a few other surprises...

Week ON

28 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your awesome race. It sounds like you ladies all did wonderful and had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for coming to my town to run!!! It was so much fun! Can't wait to do it agin next year! (who would have ever thought I would say that!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pace Mel!!! Congrats on the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Y'all don't look like you just finished a race at all. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome!! And seriously... next year.. I am there. I am going to take you up on your offer, but I need to be able to run a mile first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a rock star Mel... not only are you amazing, you inspire me and I'm sure so many others! Great job girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, girl!!! Definitely motivating me to get off my butt and start running more (now that the weather in Texas is cooler...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You heard it first.... I will be joining you ladies next year!!!!! :) Great job on the PR! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you and your PR. Again, so great to meet you! You girls are all so nice! I'll definitely let you and Holly know if I'm ever in St. Louis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are fabulous and it sounds like it was an awesome race! It wasn't in the cards for me this year, but maybe next with some better planning on my part. Congrats on your PR!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the finish. I love the play by play.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year! So glad you're making this a tradition and maybe better planning on my part so I can stay Saturday night and show y'all how to get arrested the fun way! Congrats on a PR--you earned it!! Thanks for the hugs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the PR, that is an amazing time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I seriously want that 13.1 bling! You guys rocked it and got me moving in the rain on Sat here in MO so once the Cards killed the Cubs I laced up and went for a run. It was so amazing!! I ran sat, sun and am doing some open gym fun tonight! Also, I love that you said how flat it was and how Mama said it was to hilly!! Cracked me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats lady!! Loved your race recap

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you made that race your bee-yotch! Nice job!
    I'm so glad you might be making this an annual race. Maybe thats just the motivation I need to shed the baby weight next year and get my butt in gear since its just an hour away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats!!!!! You are a beast!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to go, Mel! You rocked it! You all did awesome sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  19. CONGRATS on your PR!!!!!!!!!!!! Well deserved chica!

    ReplyDelete