Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Run, Run, Run and my mind is right again...

My phone is "work around" fixed so it's good to go for now. Apple store you are not my favorite but the tech guy was knowledgeable... so PLUS. I can finally breathe again and get my Cards stats live again. Whew... Oh yes...

You all know that Holly and I ran the MO Cowbell Half Marathon on Sunday in St. Charles - if you didn't know, one year ago I ran my first race ever and that was the Cowbell - read it HERE. This is where my love for racing/running began. 

Sunday morning I got my booty out of bed and hit the road to head to St. Charles to meet Holly Bells by 6:45 A.M. I am not going to lie, I was pumped to run my 3rd half marathon in 5 weeks. I didn't eat before this race again and I think I found my niche... hydration to the max and less food - it works for me NOT saying it works for everyone. 


Visited with Chris and the Stanfield clan for a bit and off we went to the start line. It was cool and breezy and I LOVED IT. I absolutely love running in colder weather and having my Nike pull over on, made me super comfy:) Took a quick race photo before hand, people rang their cowbells, saw our girl Kim, and off we went. 


I was running this race WITH Holly - we kept a good pace and I talked to her while she nodded;) Time went by so quickly knowing she was right there with me. Chris and their bambinos came out to cheer her on around mile 10 and it was adorable. One of my favorite parts. I also absolutely love running through New Town - it's it own little world. So peaceful and beautiful. 


Mile 10 came quickly and it was a steady hill until around almost mile 11. I sort of sprinted up the hill since I am really trying to work on getting more "hills" in on my training. The run felt great. 13.1 miles is not so shabby lately - I finished, grabbed a water, and waited for Holly to finish. I was listening to the man announce the finishers and as soon as I heard "Holly from St. Charles - Holly hates running and...." I knew it was her. LMAO! I was laughing so hard and hugged her big time (Sir Hugs A Lot here). We headed straight to the Medical tents to get stretched out and off we went home.

I am so proud of Holly - she worked HARD on this race. I know she was kind of "blah" about not PRing but she really put work in and I could tell. Congrats Holls for shaving 10 minutes off your time - that is almost a minute a mile... that's awesome!

Now... here we go for half marathon #4 in 7 weeks on Sunday - we are running the GO St. Louis Halloween Half Marathon in downtown St. Louis AND... Laura (K9Bish) is running too - YAY! Then I take a break from running for awhile until the St. Jude 5K/walk here in November and the St. Jude Marathon in December.


Run It
Racing this weekend? New Town fan? Apple Store hater?

16 comments:

  1. You are such a good friend Mel! Also? I loved your hugs! Best hugger award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew lady ya'll are racking up some miles! Love it! This post got me all pumped for my half this Saturday! (Laura really needs a blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good friend! Hugs to everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a beast! Truly inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be fun to run a half with a friend and get them to a good time. (My problem is that I'm the slowest of my group of friends.) Ha!

    Looks like you girls had a wonderful time, and your pig tails are adorable. You girls look like you could be in college! I want your skin care secrets Mel and Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you girls still dressing up for the run this Sunday?? I can't wait to see if you are!

    And you mean take a break from racing right!?! Not running period....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe! I love running with people. It makes the time fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really itching to run a half! You (E and the kids) and Holly wanna come to Looyville in the Spring to run the Derby Half with me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love New Town. We almost moved there when we moved out of our condo. I am glad we ended up in Ballwin though. Even though I love the Neighborhood, it is a hike to both my mom's house and also Todd's parents house. I just need that exact same set up in West County. Then I would be set!!!!

    And yes, you are an amazing friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED running through New Town. I had never been there before, but it is so quaint and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You girls are my heroes. I cannot imagine running that many miles in such a short period of time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job ladies! I'm running Go too - bumping down to the 5k, but hopefully we'll run into each other :) Hope school (and life) are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Youre a beast - 3 halfs in 3 weeks - yikes!! :) Youre doing awesome, keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhh I totally forgot to mention the "and she hates running" thing. LOL See you, Sunday, boo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be cheering everyone on at the Go Halloween Half on Sunday. My husband is running 2 half marathons in 3 weeks. He'll be running the Rock 'n Roll 1/2. We, my son and I, love to cheer everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sir Hugs A Lot!!! Yes! What a great friend to run it with Holly and keep her going. You should prob take Tim Bob's advice and come to Louisville in the spring to run. I'll get Meredith and KaraG to do it too!

    ReplyDelete