Monday, November 4, 2013

18 Mile Run and POTM

Hey everyone - it's Monday and I am swimming upstream - so this will be quick. I have class tonight - just finished up mucho homework - and leave for San Diego Wednesday morning at 6:30 AM - my head is spinning...

First - I am going to make the POTM link-up for Mondays, starting next Monday... This week we only got in about 3 days so next week I will have it up and running. I will have the button made up and starting next Monday, November 11th - we can chit chat about our progress during Monica's  November "Pile on the Miles" challenge.

Second - I ran the longest I ran EVER in my life - 18 MILES - on Saturday morning. K9Bish and I met at one of our favorite trails at 5:00 AM - we started out in the dark for 2 hrs with nothing but her head lamp to give us any light. Yes... I might have thought sticks were snakes and screamed like a banche, Yes... we saw spiders flowing down from the trees, and Yes... I may have jumped at every sound around me. Here is the low down on the run. Mile 1-9 good easy pace - ate some Gu Chomps (mile 8) - mile 9-13 good easy pace - ate some Lemon Head and Friends (mile 13) - mile 14-16 good easy pace - mile 16-18 faster pace but my body was ACHING! I ran WITH my trusty hand held water bottle and it was perfect, I ate toast and a piece of fruit pre-run, and I DIDN'T STOP ONCE!!!!! I made it 18 miles - NO STOPPING!



I wore my procompression socks during my run and for recovery - it helped so much. FYI... the cute argyle one's are on sale 40 % off right now with the code NOV... I swear by them. I took a bath (still can't imagine an ice bath) and my legs,hips, and knees were feeling it by the end of the night - but today I sit here with no pain, except some bruising feeling in my feet, but I need new shoes... so that's my fault.

This weekend I have a 20 miler IN SAN DIEGO!!!! I mean come on - can it get any better than that;)

Third - speaking of San Diego - I leave bright and early on Wednesday - so I will be MIA on the blog Thursday and Friday - but I will be BACK next Monday for the link-up! You can keep track of me, if you so wish... on IG @missmel_joy

Monday OUT...

How is training going? Long run this weekend? Any San Diego peeps want to run 20 with me?

18 comments:

  1. Just pd/registered for 2 5K's (babysteps!!!) and they are back to back weekends this month!! So excited to get this going! :) Have fun this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun in Cali!

    18 miles! You are a stud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to freakin go...I HATE running in the dark, even though the only time I don't start a run in the dark is race day, whomp whomp! My redemption half training is moving right along, had an amazing 8.5 miler Saturday morning. Thanks for the IG heads up about the marathon coverage over the weekend, I geeked out over it and barely moved from the couch the entire time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm sooooo glad that your 18 miler was good! Ugh. I hated 18 miles. So proud of you girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to San Antonio for work this week... wish it was San Diego!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot imagine running 18 miles!!! Go you!!!!! And thanks to your instagram post this morning, I ordered some socks. Good thing for that big girl job pay check I got last week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. On Saturday for my long run one of my loops the power was completely out for an entire 3-4 blocks, even busy intersections. It was PITCH black. I had to take my phone off of my arm and turn on the flashlight and when cars came heading my way it literally blinded me and I couldn't see a thing. It was freaking crazy!

    On another note I can't believe you didn't stop once!?! I generally take a couple short walk breaks when I feel like I need it, so I am super impressed with that:) Recovery week for me over here- then another 20 or 22 miler before taper. Here we go baby- we are almost down to the 1 month countdown!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous... LOL Whoever would have thought that I would be freaking jealous of somebody running 18 miles... I will get there soon enough though!!!!! Can't wait for the link up next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, WTG!!! Especially doing some of it in the dark! Eek!!!! The snakes and spiders wouldn't have bothered me, it'd have been the boogey men hiding in the bushes! Ha ha! :)

    Have fun in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Yay! I love when when Missmel travels :)....I am with Marcy....someday I will get to 18 miles....such an inspiration girl!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness. You're amazing!! 18 miles without stopping is incredible!! You should be so proud! I've been struggling lately with running.... I wanted to die on my little 5 miler this weekend! Ahh! Have fun in SD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So awesome!!! I haven't had a chance to really go full force with the POTM but I did get 4 in on Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh I would've killed to see you screaming at sticks - I can't imagine! Way to bust through the chaos & treat yourself to some yummy Cali! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh girl, I feel it after 10 miles! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are awesome! I swear by ice baths and the furthest I've run besides a race was 12 miles but I was not one bit of sore the next day. you've got me wanting some compression socks bad but I'll have to gift them as a Christmas gift since I'm trying a #nospendnovember...crazy! Have fun in San Fran, wish I lived there to run 20 with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl you are my hero! I hope I can run 18 miles without stopping one day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mel, your running is IMPRESSIVE! There must be all sorts of tools you're using that I need to be. The most I have ever run was 6.2 miles. I have never attempted more than that. So are compression socks the thing to have? Anything else? I am still planning to walk my first half. I talked a friend into doing it with me and we decided walking was a bit more realistic for us. Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete