Tuesday, November 26, 2013

From Brooks to Asics...

Sunday afternoon Elle and I went to Fleet Feet to get myself a new pair of running shoes. I am a die hard Brooks girl and have been since I went and had my feet fitted for the RIGHT running shoe (if you run and have not done this - spend the money and do - life changer).

I have been running in Brooks for about 2 years now. I have also had nothing but the Brooks Adrenaline and love them. I am currently training for the marathon next week (eeek) and have noticed that I get bruised on my foot right where the laces sit - post-run, this bruising lasts for days. I mentioned this, along with the back left knee pain I get after longs runs to the woman who was assigned to help me. Apparently the toe box with the Brooks runs small and this can cause that bruising (ah ha...) - she checked my arch again and it is very high, I had yet to invest in the inserts... 

She came out with Brooks Trance for me to try first - it felt nice (and it felt good running in them) and with the new inserts it felt REALLY nice... then she did some contemplating with the other employees and brought out the Asics Kayano and slid them on my foot. They fit perfect and the toe box felt RIGHT - we put the inserts in and I did a little running. SOLD!!! They were not as clunky as the Brooks and for the shape of my foot it felt like I was running on air. 

Once we got the shoe in check, we then touched on my back knee pain and guess what? I need to roll. I have NEVER foam rolled or rolled anything - EVER... so I picked up The Orb Deep Tissue Massage Ball and have been rolling at night. It hurts so good;) 

I then proceeded to get some socks and this adorable Brooks "Run Happy" hat - I am a hat girl and I felt bad selling out to my Brooks so I had to invest in them a little;)

I am excited to run in the new shoes and to get myself used to the inserts. With my marathon being next week I am doing one run with the inserts, one without, and taking them OUT for my long runs and for the marathon, until I get used to them. The marathon is just too close to change things up that dramatically right now.

After we got home I found these beauties from Elle... My bay bay....




Have a great Thanksgiving Holiday 
I will be back on Monday for marathon week
  

15 comments:

  1. Holy Crap... That means my run is like next weekend. EKK. Good luck at the marathon. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YaAY!!!!! So excited for your marathon. I need to figure out maybe getting some inserts. I have a high arch too, and I'm a bad pronator. All of this means...spending more money? hahaha. Enjoy your rolling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just switched to Kayanos this summer!! I LOVE THEM! I was running in Nikes before and these were such a huge difference. I was improving my run times too - not sure if it was all because of the new shoes or some of the weight training I was doing though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Elle! How I miss that sweet face!.... the silly face too. :) Happy Thanksgiving, Mel and family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to hear all about your marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds perfect, let me know how you like them!! and I cant believe you have never foam rolled, that is the only way my hip pain goes away :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so stinking cute! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, that Elle cracks me up!!!

    Good luck w/ the new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the new running gear! I have been meaning to go get officially fitted for running shoes then I found some this weekend that I fell in love with. Omg, shoes make such a difference! I felt like I was running on air in my new ones at the gym! Before I try any real long runs I should probably go in and get fitted though. YAY for marathon week btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha at Elle's pictures... girl's gotta have a good selfie, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been wanting to try Asics SO bad, I hear they are great running shoes but haven't been fitted or recommended a pair for my particular gait. So are you running in the Asics for the marathon? I think breaking them in on your shorter runs this week and next you should be good to go!

    PS- I want that hat! Elle trips me out and Oh and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have similar foot problems, and it sounds, like they're built similarly to yours. I have been running in Adrenalines too, and it seems like they just aren't working for runs longer than 8 miles. I will have to keep the Kayano in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have a high arch - I am an Asics Nimbus girl... LOVE LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey gorgeous - happy to hear you are trying out a pair of Asics, they are SO awesome. Are you are right, they are like running on air which will be so perfect with distance running. Wishing you a kick ass week of running and hope you had a great turkey holiday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you found some shoes that fit your feet! Elle girl is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete