Monday, November 18, 2013

Mice, Looms, 20 miles, and Betsy Freakin Homemaker...

Happy "week before Thanksgiving". If you don't know, I host Thanksgiving each year for around 30 people. Time to get my birds and booze;)

Weekend Recap...

Friday night...
I taught Elle to loom. Pulled the box out, read the directions, and wanted to put it in the trash - BUT... I kept at it. I made the first two - FAILED... they fell apart when I took them off the loom. The third one was a success. Using this hook to pull tiny rubber bands through one another - BARF... I taught Elle - and basically her last words were "so you are staying at the party to loom, right?". Both her and my attention spans are about ___ that big...


After cleaning up 7 gazillion rubber bands and hitting the loom against my counter multiple times - I had to stay up finishing a paper that was due on Saturday AND... take my midterm. Fun times...

Saturday...
Woke up bright and early and met Holly and K9Bish at Grants Trail for my big 20 miler. I had planned on doing 22 BUT... that was crazy talk... The first 15 miles felt great. I had plenty of water, my swedish fish fuel was kickin in nicely, conversation was fantastic, the weather was SUPERB... a tad bit cool and overcast, my body felt great... Mile 16-17 I got a second wind - I felt FANTASTIC so I played on how my body felt and sped up a bit - hey when it feels good - go with it, right? - but then I realized I was out of water and the drinking fountain to get water was about 1.5 miles away - so I booked it to fill up my bottle and guess what? The fountain was NOT WORKING... sooooo I knew.. here comes mile 18 and bam... the side cramps. I slowed A LOT, my sides ACHED, but I didn't stop.. I kept telling myself "2 more miles, 2 more miles". I was a thirsty camel with an aching rib cage - but I DIDN'T STOP - I MADE IT!!!! 20 miles and not ONE stop. Victory in my book;) I got to the car, drank my face off, and shoved a banana down my throat... 20 Miles - Run and Done...


I didn't have much time after the run - so I headed home hopped in the shower and got myself and Elle ready for the "rainbow loom" b-day party... I wanted comfort as my feet were tired. So I put on my favorite burgundy fleece leggings from Kiki La' Rue and my new tucker sweater from Sugar Love Boutique - bliss...


Grab the loom, Elle, and off we go... Get to the party.. walk in and guess what "NOT A LOOM PARTY"... Oh it's a fairy party - I have parties mixed up - the loom party is THIS weekend. So I have 9 girls and 4 parents asking me why I brought a loom? Awesome... #onlyme

Saturday night, off to the mouse races... What's a mouse race, right? Well, you bet on these little mice to run from one side of a board to another... anyone laughing yet... if you know me you might be... Corona Light and White Castle's were my best friend that night,,, and the 50 bucks I won from "Secteri-rat" during "mouse roulette" #winning!

Sunday...
I had envisioned waking up tired and super sore from the 20 miler - but I wasn't. My body felt good and my legs were NOT sore at all. Procompression socks FOR THE WIN! SO... I got in the Holiday spirit and put up some of the Christmas decorations, made homemade broccoli cheddar soup, and hung with the family all day. Here is sampling of the decorations - I am not done yet...


Weekend was good, productive... I am feeling more confident about the marathon in 3 weeks and I still am not into the looming. I might not be a craft mama - but I can make a mean meal. FOOOOOOD!!!

Monday Out
Holiday decorations up yet? Corona Light your go to? Runs this weekend?

21 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 20 miles! That's amazing! You are going to rock this marathon!

    Christmas is my favorite season, but we always set up the weekend after Thanksgiving. Its a tradition I cant break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe on that soup? You had to know someone would ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say it all the dang time but Mel, you are freakin' wonder woman! Work, school, kids, holiday decorating... maaaajor underachiever over here! While you were doing all that there's a good chance I was taking a nap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, you're so pretty! Second, love the holiday decs...I am TRYING to hold out putting mine up until the day after Thanksgiving, but we'll see how that goes. And, Corona Light? One of my faves! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing a 5k friday night to benefit toys for tots. I am super excited to run this with my girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a mouse race?! my worst nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed you felt great during the whole 20 miles! You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm cracking up about the mice races! That sounds like barrels of fun! 20 miles is amazing. I think you're totally prepared for your marathon. I'm not running in any races coming up soon. My next race seems like it's forever away. March 23 in Dallas. It'll be my first half so I'm really excited. Following your training has inspired me to go for it! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am still laughing about the loom! Death to the loom!

    Great job on your run and per usual both you are the house are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No pictures of a mouse race?!? Eeeeks. It would probably make me scream anyways! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only you ... Love it :) White Castle and mice, gross! You are going to rock that marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My nephew came over on Friday night with my sister (He's 7) and what does he tell me all about? Loom bracelets! I remember you talking about this and was all like "Yea, I totally know about these". Just keep tallying up my 'Cool Aunt Points'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good work on 20 miles!!! You rock! The Christmas decorations look fabulous also! Glad you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your decorations look fabulous! I can't wait to get ours our little by little this week. I meant to have them out like two weeks ago, haha but there was a little snaffoo with the "new" 9ft Christmas tree....it was missing a base and about 4 foot. Oops. Anywho, bless you for hosting that many people at your house. Yay for booze lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you doing your 5k on Thanksgiving??

    WTG on the run!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you guys run together the whole time? I just hate running with somebody for a distance longer than 4 miles! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damn girl. 20 miles. You are a beast!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to go on the run!!! And your house looks AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How did you function as a normal person after your 20 miler? You are a beast! I just laid on the couch in sweats for 4-5 hours after. I'm such a bum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hosting Thanksgiving for 30 ppl, learning to rainbow weave (or whatever the kids call it), Grad school, and a 20 miler?! You are superwoman!!!!! And congrats on your freaking awesome 20 miler!

    ReplyDelete