Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Rainbow whaaaaaaaa?

I walk in the door on Saturday night, and sitting on the counter are two invitations to birthday parties for Elle to attend. The invites looked so sweet with cakes, fairies, balloons, etc... then I notice something on BOTH invitations... Not only are these just birthday parties thrown in the comfort of some one's home - with balloons, pizza, cake, etc... this is something called a "Rainbow Loom" party. A whaaaaaaaaa?

Okay I would be lying if I didn't tell you that I had learned about these "looms" a few weeks when I so graciously volunteered to help with Elle's Halloween party at school. Background: I get off work early the day before Halloween and head to Elle's school (in stilettos, a high waisted skirt, and a black blouse) to help all the teachers and "room mothers" put on a fun Halloween party for both kindergarten classrooms. They have stations sent up - bean bag toss, throw the ring around the witch hat, make a ghost out of tissue paper, etc... Guess which station Mrs. Black Sweater Stiletto Kotte gets? Oh the station where you put powdered sugar donuts on yarn and the kids limbo and try to eat the donut off the string without using their hands - fun? Mwah ha ha... Do you think my station was planned the minute I walked in the door - UM... HELLO??? Anywhooo... I had fun, Elle loved I was there, and yes I rocked the donut station in the stiletto's like this heel wearing mama should:) 

Back to the topic: at the party the kids had on these bracelets and/or necklaces. I told a few kids how cute they were and asked who made them - to each replied - duh, Mrs. Kotte - me! It's the "rainbow loom" - the whaaaaaaaaa? I let it go - later on that night I asked Elle about the "loom" and she said she heard of it but had no clue... So... here we sit... 2 weeks later, 2 invites in, and no loom? Guess what I will be doing during lunch - hunting down a dam* rainbow loom for her party this Saturday... and in the evenings I guess I will be teaching myself and ELLE how to use this darn thing. Oh... midterm you are going to have to wait - I have to learn to make a "Rainbow loom" ensemble. I heard Youtube is your best bet - WHAT? Ain't no-one got time for this... This is for the girl who STILL doesn't have her IPOD Shuffle set up... 

Guess what's on every one's Christmas list this year? I hope you like rubber band accessories!


Check it out HERE

Sianara
What the heck is this loom thing? Can I learn this in a day? Powdered sugar donut fan?

24 comments:

  1. I just ordered the loom the other day for K&A for christmas! They already have like a million bracelets because everyone makes them at school....but yeah, I have no idea how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nieces are obsessed with this. I think I have like a million sitting around my house, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I know they sell them at the register at most dollar stores.. that's where a friend of mine got her little girl's loom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks complicated! Ugh, I'm in trouble when these days come. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those bracelets are all the rage with my students right now!! I have couple that student's have made for me. Some use the loom, but others do it by hand without!! Too complicated for me. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marley has come home with a couple of these but I had no idea that is what they were called. And explain to me how they are making a party out of this? I guess they will have the kids all make their own jewelry? Hmmm...I might need to hop on the elementary school trend train!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Powdered sugar donuts make way too much of a mess around my lips and so I don't touch them. I actually love the sweet taste but can't stand the mess. Perhaps I am too lazy to clean up after myself? Perhaps. Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG these things have caused me to drink, during the day!! Liv and I have to watch videos on youtube, to figure them out. Needless to say, we have yet to make one! OY VEY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My girls have them too. I bought them some bands at good ole wally world and Justice. They are cute but not so fun to pick up out of the washer when a certain adorable 10 yr old leaves one in her pocket! I havent seen the loom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter has one and is OBSESSED. She is forever on youtube looking for new ideas. On the plus side, it keeps her busy for hours on end and keeps her creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have a clue about the looms, but a friend of mine has a kid who has a tackle box full of all the different colored rubber bands! Whoa! I guess its serious business!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I pride myself on being the Rainbow Loom cool mom in our town... I mean, not trying to toot my own horn but I did pretty much introduce them to all the kids here! :) When Emily went away to camp this summer, one of her new friends from another state had one and of course the other girls loved it and Emily wanted one. I surprised her one day after school with it, she learned, we Youtubed, she learned more, etc. and then of course allll of her friends at school asked her to make one. Of course the phenomenon would've caught on regardless but you know... toot toot over here!;) The good news is that they LOVE them and stay busy with them... it's not something they'll get and not care about. Emily uses hers every single day and loves to be creative... win win.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter got one for her birthday. I thought it was pretty easy to do. The "easy" pattern that they give you the instructions for. You can do it! If you can wear stilettos all day you can conquer the loom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck finding one, I hear they get sold out all the time b/c they are THE hot item this fall! :) I want one in a bad way (dork!), reminds me of all the friendship bracelets I made back in the day! But I doubt Aiden would be all over it. :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a glazed donut girl myself. All my homies wear the rubber band bracelets and I'm 22 and in college... I had no idea how they were made until now haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is too funny! I just discovered these last week. Apparently Brooklyn just HAS to have one. She has this small loom thing that she is using right now but needs the big huge rainbow loom. Oh geez. So that got added to her Christmas list that I send to the grandparents for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a 7 and 5 yr old girls, we are so there! Our Dollar Tree has the rubber bands in all colors, ain't nobody got time to pay full price! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Believe me... your daughter will pick up on it fast. My daughter watched a friend do it and she was doing it the next day using her fingers until we got a loom. They are lots of fun and will keep her busy for hours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had no idea what they were called either. My friends 10 year old made me one last weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! My daughter and son (yes, I said son) both want one for Christmas. I did know what they are, but I have no idea how to work it...and they say the name so fast, I thought they were called Rainbow Balloons...HAHA. --Becky

    ReplyDelete
  21. I already feel like I want one of these for myself. At first when I read "loom" I thought it was one of those things where you used a loom to make pot holders. Did you ever have one of those? Jankiest things ever. But this sounds totally cool and fun. Who doesn't love a friendship bracelet?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Two weeks ago my son (SON) comes home from school and said "mom, everyone has these bracelets..." he proceeds to describe them and in my head I am thinking those rubber bracelets that were taken out of the school because each color represented an explicit act. I said absolutely NOT. Later that week I go to my family clubhouse and all my cousins were making these bracelets and one of the girls made C one. He has worn it every.single.day. since. I ordered 2 off groopdealz for my nieces and contemplated getting C one and decided no, his girl cousins can make them for him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lol! I have seen those things EVERYWHERE. It's a litle more complicated than the embroidery floss bracelets of my own youth. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hahahahha.. I laughed the whole way through this. The life of a mama. A hot mama in heals none the less!!!!

    ReplyDelete