Monday, December 9, 2013

Minus 26.2

This weekend you all know that it was the St. Jude Memphis Marathon and this was to be my FIRST 26.2 ever. I have been training since July, cutting out booze, planning my life around long runs, and spending way tooooo much time away from my family to get these runs in. This weekend was IT - the last of all of it. I was going to become a marathoner AND... get my life back. WRONG...

If you want a good recap of the weekend - check out Holly's post HERE - it sums it up nicely...

We drove to Memphis on Friday in weather that I have never seen before - we saw 60+ cars/trucks off the road or flipped over. It usually takes 4 hrs to get there - it took 8. I am not an anxious person and when it was my turn to drive, my lip was quivering from anxiety and I wanted to start crying every time a semi barreled through next to me. There were NO lanes only white ice and snow. Thank GAWD for Laura who drove 95% of the entire way...


We make it to Memphis, realize the weather doesn't seem to bad there and that this marathon HAS to be ON. We head to the expo, get our bib and swag, and make our way to the Pasta Party that the Hero's were invited to. It was lovely and we met so many people - it was making the whole experience REAL! We were getting EXCITED. Head back to the hotel - pull up to the valet and BOOM... our world was devastated. We received an email that the marathon had been CANCELED... The whole trip up to our room was a blur... Laura starts to cry, Holly is cussing like a demon, and I am just staring out into space like "is this really happening?". Well it was...


We all get ourselves together and muster up enough makeup to make us look presentable and head down to the lobby bar to drink - because in all honesty I was not in the mood to live it up... I was devastated, heart broken, and sick to my stomach. We drank, laughed, and tried to lift our spirits but I was still hurting bad...


I tried to sleep - I couldn't I tossed and turned and kept hoping this was all a dream. Saturday we got up, laid around and then headed to brunch with LB - highlight of my weekend for sure. I stuffed cheese soup, french toast, and mimosas in my face and it felt GOOD!.


The ride home was not great either, but we made it. Holly's car has been through hell and back and I owe Holly basically my life (or a year supply of Lumiday) for letting us take her car.

Here is what I learned:

I am not traveling to run again for a long time. St. Louis has races and I am sticking with those.

I am determined to make 26.2 in 2013, so I signed myself up for the Run for the Ranch in Springfield, MO in 3 weeks. Please, Please, Please let the weather be decent. I am also beyond stoked my babies will be there to see me finish. I wanted them there so bad and now they get to - maybe St. Jude was meant to not happen for a reason - because now I get to hug my sweet children when I cross that finish line.


If you see me and I am all "ohhhh let's do it - it will be fun - I swear we will have a great time" - run the opposite direction.

Do NOT for any reason let me drive in the snow/ice EVER again - I can't let my armpits sweat that much - not a good thing.

I WILL be going back to Memphis next year for St. Jude and running - not sure a full or half but I will be there. My heart has to run for those kids.

NEVER sleep in a full bed with anyone again - my thighs are too big.

GET MYSELF A NEW CAR. Pearl (my Nissan Altima) would have NEVER made it to Memphis.

I have amazing friends - through all the cussing, crying, screaming, sound machine noise, pretending to not hear or see, and freaking out - I am glad I had one last trip with my girls.

All of your well wishes and continued support/love mean the WORLD to me - thank you ALL for always being there to make me feel better even in the darkest moments. I am not giving up on my goal and I dedicate this next race to YOU.

So I am going to keep up my training for 3 more weeks and nail this 26.2 - here is to 3 more weeks of running like a maniac, taking time away from everyone I love, and not drinking or having any weekend fun;) In the end though... it will ALL be worth it... Springfield, MO I am coming for ya!!!

Monday Out

23 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about the race! I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2007 - the marathon that they RAN OUT OF WATER IN 100 DEGREE HEAT - and they cancelled the race half way through! The race got cancelled at mile 18...they made all of us divert and go to the finish line. I was only able to run 21 miles of the marathon :( Trust me, it's inifinitely worse for the race to get cancelled DURING the race. I was so frustrated, angry,and bitter and refused to sign up for another marathon after that race. I really wish I would have now! You will be so happy you decided to just do it after your next race - PROMISE!!! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad that you girls made it to and from Memphis, safely. I was so worried about you.
    I LOVE that you always see the brighter side of things!! Like.... still getting to run a marathon, but with your babies at the finish line to hug and kiss you, this time! Maybe all that went on, was a blessing in disguise. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no...sorry to hear your marathon was cancelled. The marathon for this weekend in Dallas was cancelled for the first time ever due to the snow/ice we got here. I wasn't planing on running, just going to support some friends. Glad you ladies made it to Memphis and back safely. Glad you were able to find a local marathon to run and still meet your 26.2 goal! Looking forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO BUMMED FOR YOU! Great perspective though; "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those that love him..."

    Glad your babies will be there to witness your life changing moment. Fingers crossed for unseasonably GREAT weather:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart broke for you ladies! You guys truly are heros!!! You are going to kill the marathon in Springfield

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the biggest guilt for not seeing you girls. The week leading up to this was pure hell. Friday was a blur like you said. I could not even comprehend much of anything. I am glad you will come back. That race experience is amazing- you won't regret it(as long as the weather pans out). I love you girls. And I love your determination and cannot wait to hear about your upcoming race!!!! Make it your bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh honey:( I'm glad that you made it and when I saw that it was canceled I may have shed a tear or two for you all. I know how much hard work you have put into this, but as you said maybe it was meant to be. I will still be cheering you on from afar.
    I told Holly this all happened because I wasn't running with y'all. LOL... See you need to sign up for Chicago 2014 and run with Northwoods Nicki..LOL
    I'm proud of you no matter what..you don't need a 26.2 sticker to prove that you're a bad ass mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're such a rock star! I'm happy that St. Jude's can still benefit from the donations of the race AND you're still running a marathon - with your adorable babes no less! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm shocked you guys kept going in that weather!! I would have given up! I feel horrible for you all!! But you'll get there, three weeks will go by in a flash!! And running for those kids next year will be a highlight for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate I missed y'all....but next year, I will bring LOUIE to cheer you (and hopefully me) on while running!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It just flat out sucks the way it all went down. But, I am glad you guys made it home safe. And, good luck in Springvegas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi new follower. Also a marathon runner. Also the mother of a 3 year old cancer survivor. It makes me so happy to read your heart was so ready for these children. I hope to run for St Jude next year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, I hope you rock out that 26.2 in 3 weeks. I know you trained your tail off and your marathon is going to be awesome. Yall need to come back next year for sure and lets all run the half! Or maybe relay it. Last year the temp during the marathon was 74 degrees so hopefully it finds a happy medium between last year and this year's crazy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate it was cancelled but happy you can still run 26.2 in 2013! Oh, my goal is to run St. Jude next year. Not sure if it will be 13.1 or 26.2 but I will be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you girls made it home safe! I bet I can convince you to come to California to run. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry the race was cancelled, so totally not fair after all the trials and tribulations y'all went through to make it there. But I'm glad you all got home safe. Amen.
    xoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you made it there and back safe and sound. Springfield, Mo is my hometown. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO happy that you found another one! It will be awesome to have your kids there to see you finish. You will DOMINATE this race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So proud of you! You can do this girl! So glad you all made it back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just hate that you guys drove all the way to Memphis, just to be told it was cancelled. I'm so glad you guys made it home safe. You are one dedicated girl! you are going to do awesome on your race in Springfield. I don't know what it is, but knowing your babies are at the finish line makes me run better. (one of the reason why LR is always my best time) Cheers to having a great attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hate that y'all didn't get to run it,but I am thankful that your little ones will get to be there when you do run one :). I'm the same way I want my family to be there when I cross the finish line for my first half

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awwww... I am so sorry to hear your race was cancelled after all that training and dedication. Good luck to you in 3 weeks though! Glad you ladies made it there and back safely.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awwww... I am so sorry to hear your race was cancelled after all that training and dedication. Good luck to you in 3 weeks though! Glad you ladies made it there and back safely.

    ReplyDelete