Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Prepping for Memphis...

It's Tuesday (the worst day of the week) and the last Tuesday I am going to consider myself an NON-marathon runner - right? AGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right now there are a million things running through my head. I know Holls anxiety level is at its all time highest, and K9Bish is packing her sound machine as we speak;) It's all in the works... So today I am going to ramble on about my thoughts, what I am doing to prepare this week, and what I hope to accomplish this weekend...

I am stoked - beyond stoked. I can't stop checking Memphis weather, race elevations, and blog posts from those who have previously ran this marathon. I border a little on the obsessed side.

I have my race attire picked out, my fuel bought, and all my going out outfits laid out in my head.

I am somewhat sad that my some of my family and close friends will not be there to see me finish. I will be hugging whoever the person is next to me at the finish line. They better not be a "boundary" person because I am NOT... and I won't hesitate to go in for a long drawn out sweaty hug;)

I am eating better this week - drinking tons of water - and keeping up with my small runs.

I will NOT be running on Friday and Thursday I am going to do 2 miles - rest these legs for Saturday.

My strategy on the course is to take in EVERY moment - I AM running for a REASON - for St. Jude.

I will start out slower and try to pick up the pace at the end (if that is possible). 

I will rotate hydration stations between Gatorade and water and my GU will be taken at mile 8,16, & 24 - and if I feel I need more to eat - I am going to.

I don't want to stop... but if I have to - I will stop, catch my breath, let my feet hit the pavement, and pick it back up... and I will NOT beat myself up on the course about it. This race is NOT about me...

I have seen runners do this and dedicate miles to those they love - this I will be doing in my head. The last 6 are going to be rough and I will need this type of motivation to keep me going. This is when I plan to start my dedications.

I am not going to turn on my music until I feel it is time - I am hoping to at least get to mile 17 or so.

I am going to enjoy that feeling when I finish - I am NOT going to immediately get on my phone. I am going to hug those around me, watch others as they finish, be IN THE MOMENT with my friends, and hug those out to cheer us on. I also want to love on those beautiful kids and their families. Then I will call my babies and tell them I love them more than they could ever imagine!!!



AND... then I am going to nap, take a shower, and PARRRRRRRTTAAAYY!!!

I am nervous, I am stoked, and I am READY!!!! 

Any last minute tips?

31 comments:

  1. Oh man, this post almost made me a little emotional...but now I'm ready to party, bah!!! Best of luck!!!!! I'm insanely jealous but will be cheering on you and many others from the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely stoked for you. This is a huge accomplishment, and you will do amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you and Holly!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. You are an inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you girls!! can't wait to read about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you homegirl! Wish I could be there hugging you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I have no doubt that you and Holly are going to do amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No last minute tips but this post totally made me tear up. I'm SO proud of you Mel and I know you'll do great!! Can't wait to hear all about it... AFTER you've enjoyed it in the moment! I wish more people thought like you and would leave the phone down for important moments like this! I'll be thinking of you this weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg i'm so excited for you!!! you definitely have your head in the right place and you're going to kick serious bootay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me start crying. I am super emotional right now. My anxiety level is at an 8 but my excited level is at a 20!! The weather reports are not ideal for the day before(icy roads, etc) and very COLD the day of. Just prepare. Cold running can be a good thing. Just stay pumped. We are gonna do the damn thing and take in every last moment. We will only run our first marathon ONCE. Might as well savor it! Love your guts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously proud of you! I've been thinking of you three all week and am so excited for your race this weekend, I cannot wait to hear how it all goes. You gals rock and I know you'll all do great. Enjoy yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post made me tear up! Just shows what an amazing woman you are, Mel! Oh and thank GOD, you are a hugger because I am too! So when we finally meet, I am giving you a big ole Midwestern hug! :) So proud of you and all the girls I know, running for St. Judes. If I was a wealthy house wife, I would volunteer there, at least once a month! Give those amazing fighters a hug for me too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading this has me so emotional. I am so very excited for all of you and can't wait for the recaps! I love the state of mind you have right now, and seeing your training journey has me so pumped for my own running. You're awesome, girl. Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok so what is up with making me cry. Stop it. LOL.
    First thing: You crazy girl I'm so beyond proud of you!!! If I could I would jump in my private jet and cheer you on, but alas I'm poor and things don't work that way. I will be cheering you on while getting my hair did!
    I'm glad that you're running in the moment and that you won't be beating your self up. It's hard when you want to do your best but that logic goes out the window when you're running the distance that you are.

    So when you hit mile 18 (remember (this is the hardest mile for many),
    Trust your training...you put in the miles, you put in the time, you have this.
    Ignore your body telling you that you can't.
    When your legs are tired run with your heart!
    And last but not least think of those babies that are so proud of their momma!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BAAAHHHH I'm so excited for you! You are seriously going to kill it! I wish I could go to cheer you guys on! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so excited for you Mel!! I wish I could be at the finish line watching you cross. I know you are going to do awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are going to rock this marathon!!! Can't wait to hear your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ran the half several years ago. We ran thru the grounds of the St. Jude hospital. It is overwhelmingly emotional because you see all the kids in their windows cheering you on. You have nurses, volunteers, children, and supporters high-fiving you and holding signs. I'm not a big cryer, and I almost broke down. Plus being emotional because of the amazing race you are running --- a MARATHON!! Congrats, girl! You have the best attitude and you seem to really want to enjoy the entire thing.

    It's going to be COLD COLD COLD here, so get ready! You'll do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So exciting!! Youre going to rock it and I cant wait to see how it goes!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You made me cry with that last part. Best of luck to you ladies! I'll be texting Holly, checking in on y'all! <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all of this! You'll be doing great without music and dedicating miles to loved ones, how great to keep in the moment and remember who you are running for! Can't wait to hear all about it! Get 'em girl and give 'em all sweaty hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good plan on the music; I think I made it to the halfway mark before I turned mine one, but it had thinned out a ton & there weren't many peeps to talk to or watch really:-) You'll rock it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are going to do great!!! I can't wait to hear about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you're on the right track!! I know you're going to do great! I would totally hug you if I were there!! #runyourfaceoff

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay girl, you got me on the call to your babies! That made me tear up. You are going to rock it like a rock star.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you have wrapped your head around things, very smart. Good strategies (like I'd know!)!!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm going to need to get all yalls bib numbers so I can figure out where to set up with my signs, lol! I think they said you can track when your friends pass certain marks, 3.1, 6.2, etc. I cannot imagine what it is going to feel like to finish a whole marathon!! I am so proud of you, Holls, Meredith, LB everyone already!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good luck Mel, can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so excited for you!! You are going to rock this race. I cannot wait to read about it in your recap next week. Wish I could be there to cheer you on! I'll never forget finishing the half here and hugging you at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can not wait to hear all about this race!!! You are gonna rock Mel!

    ReplyDelete