Monday, December 23, 2013

The "Not So" about Christmas...

I love Christmas - the magic - the kids faces - the decorations - the traffic - the added lbs - the angry faced shoppers - the stress - the shopping for my "hard to please" mother - the kids touching the decorations 73 times and breaking about 5 things a year - the fights about how much money to spend/not spend - the running around like a madman and forgetting at least 3 items when it comes down to the day... ummmm... I like Christmas "so-so". 

I love the holidays for my kiddos and I try to make it extra special for them. We have a few traditions that we keep each year and I do adore those, but today's post is about the "Not So" about Christmas (for me).


Peter (our elf's name) the Elf on the Shelf - I am about over him... he's so overrated and about as outdated as UGG boots - gasp did I say that? 

Christmas Cards - I get it... the sweet sentiment and thoughtfulness, but tell me what you do with them after the Holidays? Trash - garbage - landfill food... wait, just me?

Christmas lights - yes I love them, but I don't love looking at them in February and we ALL have THAT person our street that loves to keep them up until March. NADA... 

Christmas parties - parties are where IT IS AT, but I don't love the chaos that ensues in my house when 232 cars are parked on our street and our lawn gets mowed over by your huge truck's tires. It does not equal a happy home for me. 

Christmas "outfits" - yes this becomes HELL in my house. Elle wants to wear her Christmas dress to the "park" 5 weeks before Christmas and hounds me to wear her sparkly shoes all day every day, Christmas morning Wes runs around naked until I catch him and put on his Christmas attire, only to have him take it off and I find him throwing it in the trash can - fabulous... 

Christmas Gifts - I have three sets of parents - My mom and step-dad - My dad and step-mom - and E's parents - the lovely moment when one of your kids opens their gift and says "I already got this from so and so" and you watch the face of the parent who just gave it to them melt into disappointment. Ugh...

All in all I do love Christmas - the holiday parties we attend are my favorite of the whole year and watching the kids is beyond beautiful in itself... but I can't lie - the holidays can bring out the worst in me;) And on that note, Happy Holidays my friends...

12 comments:

  1. I am over the Elf on the Shelf and I don't even have one lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought over and over about getting the elf because my almost 3 year old would love it...but then I'm like, do I really want to commit to that?? Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO over the Elf!!! It was cute last year, this year though I'm just done! I didn't do cards this year and on the plus side I saved $200 in not sending any! The things we do for other people lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I don't have kids yet and I am PRAYING the Elf on the shelf thing fades - the whole idea a) creeps me out and b)sounds time consuming!

    Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you posted this... I had a post very similar but deleted because I didn't want to seem all Debbie-downer... BUT, you're right... there's a whole other "real" side to the holidays that people try to hide somewhere between their #blessed Facebook posts and sparkly Instagram pics. Christmas is great for so many reasons but there's a lot of stress and worn out thrown in there too... which is where I am today :) So thank you for being REAL!! If I don't chat with you I hope you, and of course those gorgeous kiddos, have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Is it bad that I am glad that we went to my family's already, so if my kids get a double, I don't have to see the look of sadness wash over my mother's face?

    And don't get me started on the Elf on the shelf. I just won't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't be hating on my Uggs.... ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking today how I'm ready for Christmas to be OVER. I just didn't get the "christmas tingle" this year. Maybe next year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if you and I got together we could have a dumpster party...throw away all the vases and Christmas cards lol

    Christmas is fun for the kids but seriously by the time Christmas actually comes I'm over it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want my freakin' Elf on the Shelf to help with the laundry. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I had all my family and my husband's family over last night and all day today. Messy house, crying kids, my sister left with my mom to take my sick niece to the urgent care clinic, and I had a melt down. I cried while I was making green bean casserole.

    I LOVE Christmas, I LOVE spending time with family and I LOVE when they go back home.

    I'm relaxing now while my boys play with their new toys.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me, it is more about the stress of traveling and who do you spend the day with or the weekend with. We have to drive to see either of our parents so it is just a trade off. I was a lot less stressed this year, because I actually got shopping done early and just tried to enjoy the time we had with our families. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete