Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Myself, Numbers, and $$$

Happy "worst day of the week"!!! I haven't said that in awhile and it feels DANG good saying it. Ever since 2 weeks ago I wake up each Tuesday morning in a daze. Want to know why? I have "Jibbba class" on Monday night AKA... Accounting. Now if you know me and you put Mel and Accounting together, you are probably laughing your face off and clapping your hands... I SUCK AT SPREADSHEETS!!!

I started Accounting class a few weeks ago and thought "Eh... I will get through  this". I can read the book, memorize, and eliminate answers fairly well. We have a 10 question quiz each week and 3 Exams (open notes/book). I mean "Come on Mel... you got this"... So I was laying in bed on Friday night around 10:45 P.M. and it dawned on me "Agh... I have a quiz to do that is due by 11:59 P.M. that night". Procrastination Station, stop ONE - so I jet to the office, get my book and PPT slides out, read briefly through the quiz, and then just start laughing. I mean I understand NONE... NADA...ZILCH... I hunt and peck for 30 minutes on a 10 question quiz.... I did end up with a 9 out of 10, but I can't tell you what ONE of the questions actually meant. FYI... I guess fairly well;)

Now let's discuss how I feel in class on Monday nights from 5:30-9:30 while we are taught about debits, credits, margins, ROE, ROI, beginning balance, ending balance, investments, liabilities, expenses, etc... AGH... I sit there for 4 hours and dream about food. Big huge plates of crab legs with melted butter, German-chocolate cake, Papa Johns pizza, soft pretzels with cheese, Swedish Fish... and I nod here and there like "oh yeah... I totally get it". Not even close people...

I have never been the best with "numbers". When I was 18 I signed up for my first credit card. It had a limit of $500.00 on it. I spent about $212.00 at J Crew and then never paid my bills so it eventually reached $500.00. IDIOT!!! I then worked a whole summer in college to pay off that bill by the time I went back to school in the fall AND... that is where my ignorance with moolah lies...

Fast Forward to today. I NOW have a "spreadsheet" in my office (at home... this is AT HOME people) that I am TOLD to use. I put each debit on the spreadsheet... I forget sometimes... well OFTEN, but hey... I can make a mean meal with the money I just spent at the grocery store, or flip my "newly" done hair and bat my Lancome lashes... does it work? NEVER, I must still abide by the spreadsheet rule... LOL

Here is the deal...I make money. I like to spend it. I like to save it (some of it). I might not understand how a Balance Sheet or Cash Flow "whatever" works... but I can tell you what color each of my credit cards are WITHOUT looking, if you tell me the name of the store;)

Truth be told, I pay off my credit cards each month in full. I can't have any other debt hanging over my head beyond the mortgage and car payment (which I don't even have yet... waaaah) - I just wouldn't sleep at night (that is just me). Do I understand how it all works - not really. Am I going to pass this class - your DAM* right. I am going to come out of this class the BEST guesser on the planet - you might even want to hire me, that's an asset, right?



Tuesday OUT
Have a spreadsheet? Accounting smarts? What color is your Nordstrom's card;)?

20 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on all of that. My parish put me on the Finance Board. THE FINANCE BOARD. I was like "um, what are they smoking?" So I go and they bust out this 16 page budget and everyone is asking these super intelligent questions before we approve it and I sat there like "wait, I know debit means money out, right?" Shit. I will bankrupt the church. Mark my words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no good with budgets either. And I don't care. As long as what's going out is < what's coming in, and I'm still able to save, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so with you! My husband balances our household budget thank GOD. I just want to spend what money we have left each week. I'[m like YAY hair appointment time! or Oh good, new makeup. How about NO, that goes toward rent that's due in a few weeks. SIGH. I just don't do well with understanding it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha!! This is why I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an accounting degree. Trust me, some of it in the final classes I didn't even have a clue what was going on. They have software for that now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crab legs.....YUM!!!

    Luckily my husband takes care of the saving money while I take care of the spending part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah the spread sheet will NEVER stop being funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I hate money. I used to love money, then I had children and had to give it all to their daycare.

    Holes in my underwear,
    ~Alg

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love math... HATE accounting... took a few business classes at school when I was sure I was changing my major, but didn't know what to - HATED accounting... normally math classes are my thing, this class made me mad. You can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep track of all of our expenses. At first it was a little daunting, but it has really helped us save a LOT. because even though we make a decent amount of money, we really shouldn't be spending it all, especially bc it will just go to dining out, or buyng stuff we really don't need. Having a budget helps us meet financial goals, like saving for a house or a car down payment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha I love you Mel! And that ecard is the best! I will just say accounting classes and accounting jobs are so very very different. I just wish I could have worked in accounting for like 3 months and then gone back and taken the classes. I would have made straight As! I am apparently an application person not a book smart person, who knew, lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you can do algebra then you can do accounting. It is just one big equation that needs to stay balanced. You can just move things around without moving it on both sides? Does that makes sense? The word Debit and Credit gets people confused, but it is all about balancing each side out. Does it help at all that accounting was invented in Venice Italy??? I mean that place is gorgeous, they had to know what they were doing, right?!?!? LOL I am an accountant and I LOVE it. It just makes sense to me. I think you either get it or you don't. SORRY! Also, sorry for the nerd alert. I get a little excited when someone talks about accounting other than a co-worker!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Target card is red... if I opened up anything else, we would be back to living in the shoebox. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh man, all those terms make me giddy - loved accounting! If I ever go back to school that's probably what I'll focus on. Love love love!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I miss my Limited card... waaah.... My husband is the budget nazi... on my nerve... I'm with you accounting was horrible, I have no idea how I passed that class.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, right there with you sista. An accounting wizard I am not. Thankfully my husband is wicked smart in that department :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the spreadsheet... :) Accounting isn't my thing either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't worry, I'm a CPA, and some of that stuff still confuses me at times.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ugh all of that is like a foreign language to me! Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  20. Get daily suggestions and guides for making THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME totally FREE.
    GET FREE ACCESS TODAY

    ReplyDelete