Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Why I love working...

It's been a minute since I talked about my job. I am not going to get into everything I do because I like to keep the blog separate from my career, but most of you know I work full time and absolutely, positively, most definitely... LOVE my job...


History
I went away to college (CMSU - name has changed now) and received a Bachelor of Science in Psychology/Rehabilitation. I then stayed there to continue my education in pursuing a Masters in High School Counseling. I came back to St. Louis to get married and decided I needed a job... so I started applying everywhere and anywhere. I ended up on an interview in Clayton on a cold cold November day in 2004. I remember walking in and just being myself. I talked to the employees, did my best on the interview, and left feeling pretty decent. I got the call that afternoon and was offered the job... The job was an "office manager" position. It wasn't in my field and less money than I had expected, but since I was getting married in 6 months and we were in the process of buying a house I took it AND... I am so glad I did... 

I started out in the file room - worked my way up to an analyst  - and then a position opened up in I.T. (System Administrator) and I was told "you are going to learn this" and I took the risk. I had only been employed for a year and now I was jumping into new territory, but I had the support and encouragement of my superiors. I ended up absolutely falling in love with the new position. I took it and ran with it... When I didn't know - I found out, when I wanted to throw in the towel, I didn't. I kept at it - kept learning more - kept listening to others... kept confidence in myself... and it blossomed into my career. 

I will currently be with my employer for 10 years this year and this was my FIRST job out of college. I am very proud to say I am loyal to my company and my department. I work with a superb team and under supportive management. They are not just my co-workers, boss, employees - they are my family. 


Future
I wanted to start a MBA program 4 years ago. I even applied and was put on the roster, but I got pregnant with Wesley and decided it wasn't the "right" time. I wanted to be home in the evenings while he was young and Elle was going to be transitioning out of the "only child" role and she needed mom too - so I put it on hold. With Wes being 3 now and Elle 6, this summer I decided it was time, No more excuses... So I signed up for the MBA program through my employer at Webster University. Each course is 9 weeks long - and you attend one night a week for 4 hrs. I will graduate in May 2016 and honestly I can't believe I am already 3 classes deep. It is flying by... I eventually (2-4 years) want to use this degree to pursue a management position, as I can't see myself being a System Administrator forever. I am only 33 and my career has JUST begun... 

I understand that working is NOT for everyone, but I can't imagine my life without my career. My family DOES come first, but they also know how much my job and education mean to me. The kids always ask "you like to work mommy?" and I always reply with a resounding "YES". I love the sense of accomplishment I get when I walk out the door each evening, the relationships fostered through my time at this company, the skills I am learning each and everyday, the drive to want to learn more, and the all around happiness my career brings my life.

I hope my kids see that you CAN get where you want by hard work, determination, and the drive to get there... never giving up, but always staying kind and humble. It's definitely going to get overwhelming, it will be tough, you will want to give up, but in the end the reward is much greater then any pain you endured along the way. 



 Happy Tuesday

 

18 comments:

  1. Love that you love working. Right now I am able to stay home with my youngest. Actually because of illness I am not able to work. But he is going to start Kinder next year and I am already a mess. What will I do? I really want to work but I just can't yet. You are setting an amazing example for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew you were a fellow I.T goddess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration on so many levels! One class a week sounds very do-able. I may have to look into a similar program around here. I've always thought I had to commit to at least three nights a week. Congrats on all your hard work Mel- in all aspects of life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! you have no idea how many people I know that have degrees from some pretty amazing schools that are not utilizing them. I will never understand. I so need to get my ass in gear and get my MBA. I am just so afraid. Why... I have no idea. Since 2014 is the year of the new me (I mean I freaking cleaned my kitchen last night before watching FNL), I feel that maybe this is the year I pursue my education. Right now we have four diplomas hanging on the wall. I think I might need to add the fifth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow woman! I have no idea how you do it all! You are so motivating! I should probably get off the couch and clean something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock girl! I love my kids to death, but could never be a stay at home mom. I love my job and the sense of accomplishment that it gives me everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you Mel! I'm going to start furthering my education in my field in a couple of weeks! It will be good both for my confidence and future. You got this (just like everything else you do!). Thanks for sharing the positives and history; most people aren't in love with what they do, so it's refreshing to hear!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all of this! You are so positive! Love it! I doubt for an MBA you need any gen eds but if you do take art a friend of mine is an art prof at Webster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, your sharing turned into an unintentional pep talk for me that I so desperately needed! Thanks for the encouraging words :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is awesome that you got a job right outta college and heck you are still there!! What an amazing accomplishment. It is even better that you love it and you are passing that message onto your kiddos. If only more parents would pass this same positive attitude about working then maybe this Country would be in a better position. Congrats on chasing your dreams and going back to school to better yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww Mel, what a great post. I'm also a Psychology Major and will be graduating with my Bachelors degree this May. I'm so nervous to not be the mom that goes to school but the mom that works. Reading your post made me feel better about it. I've worked so hard to get where I am now, I guess that means its time to put my big girl panties on and get in the workforce. In a year or so I would love to pursue my Masters. good luck to you. I'm sure your kiddos feel pretty lucky to have such a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But seriously, we were MEANT to be friends! I am an analyst at an insurance company (been here 16 years, started in customer service, moved over to legal/compliance, then moved to what has now become my analyst position). I love my job too, and the excitement from the contant opportunities to work with the business team and the IT team on new and different things. That said, I am kind of pondering what next...where do I go from here? The only difference is I started my career shortly after high school and have always longed for a degree. But for many of the reasons you listed, it just has never worked out for me to return to school. I loved this post...your can-do attitude is always so uplifting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally believe, especially in this day and age, that it's important to teach your kids the value of ACTUALLY WORKING and not just expecting to have everything handed to you. And it's even better when you can find something you TRULY enjoy doing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously, you are just amazing on so many levels. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this. Such a great post. Such a great attitude. It's so awesome to love one's job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Life is so much more fun when you enjoy your job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post. You are setting an awesome example for your kids! I totally look up to you with all you do and finding time to workout and be a great mom! Since going back to work part time at a job I love it has made me a happier mama as well!

    ReplyDelete