Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Saying Goodbye...

Last week was supposed to be filled with spring break antics for the kids and fun for the family - and then I received a call that my grandfather was in the hospital. I wrote about my G-pa back in October when he had a heart attack - you can read it HERE.

My grandfather had been doing well since the heart surgery, but with increased shortness of breath and the diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis he wanted to take himself to the hospital. He went to his small town hospital on a Saturday evening and they sent him to St. Louis to one of our bigger hospitals. He did well on Sunday and by Monday my father was saying that he would be going "home", unfortunately things took a turn for the worse.

I wanted to visit him at the hospital on Monday after work but I had class and it doesn't let out until 9:30 PM - and visiting hours would be over for sure. Tuesday my father called and told me that the doctor called and it might not be long - so I left work and headed to the hospital. I talked with G-pa, laughed at his hatred for the food, quirkiness with the nurses, and told him I loved him - held his hand and kissed his forehead when I left to go back to work. He was having the hardest time breathing and his oxygen levels were dropping and the doctor had told us it was time to learn to "let go". He made it until around 5:00 p.m. and I got the call that G-pa passed. I asked my Dad to please let me see him one last time - so I headed back up to the hospital to be with my father and grandmother and see him for the final time. Saying goodbye was extremely tough - but seeing my grandmother (whom he had been married to for 64 years) and my father in pain - was even tougher. This was first close family member to pass in my short 33 years and I wasn't prepared for the sadness that I would feel.

Long story short... the wake, funeral, and weekend consisted of grief and a celebration of his life. So many memories and wonderful stories shared - it touched my heart...

I will remember:
- him lacing up his fine leather boots and getting ready for the Mason Lodge on the weekends
- his old type writer and him sitting down to write REAL letters
- him making us ice cream with his ice cream maker in the basement of his "City" house
- the long rides down to the "Country" and the music we listened to down there
- his love for farming and sending us kids home with TONS of veggies and fruit
- him trying to teach me to "hook those worms" and to succumb to the "country girl" life
- his YELLOW Freight notepads lying all over the house for me to play "secretary" with
- his delicious REAL breakfasts in the morning - cooked with lard and love
- the way he combed his snow white hair back with his small black comb
- his mustache tickling our cheeks as he kissed us goodbye

There are so many more memories that I will cherish. He was a GOOD man - a truly genuine GOOD man who will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.


36 comments:

  1. Hard hugs for you Mel.. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss my Papa was the first close death to me and it was so so hard. My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss, Mel. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a very special man. How lucky are you to have known him all your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss! Ya'll are in my prayers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss Mel, it sounds like you have great memories to hold on to and stories to pass along to your kiddos too. Sending some major hugs and good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. You can tell how much you love him from your writing. I'm sorry for your loss and watching our parents and grandparents hurt is one of the hardest things to do. You are already hurting for your loss, but then watching them makes it harder. I was in the room when my dad said goodbye to his dad (my grandpa) and it was one of the most beautiful things ever, but it was also incredibly gut wrenching. One day I hope to have half the strength my dad did that day. My thoughts and prayers are with you Mel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im so sorry for you loss! He sounded like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :-( Nice memories of him; thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your loss Melanie, I hope that you and your family find strength during this difficult time. Beautiful memories of a man who obviously meant the world to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs to you! Losing a family member sucks big time! I am glad you got the chance to say goodbye! Keep those memories close by, because your kids will love to hear stories about him when they are older!

    ReplyDelete
  13. :( Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I lost my first grandparent a few years ago and remember all the emotions that come with it. Sounds like you have some great memories to remember your grandpa by and can share with your own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw Mel, so sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a truly amazing man! Prayers for you, your grandma, and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for your loss.
    xoxo
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry for your loss,, <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hugs to you friend, he sounded like an amazing man. Sending prayers for you and your family xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are very fortunate to have so many wonderful memories, but I am so sorry for your loss. Thinking of you, girl. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry for your loss. So glad you have all of those wonderful memories of him :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sending my love and prayers your way. I lost both my Grandpa's and my Grandma within 2 years time and I miss them everyday. Hold on to those beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry for your loss Mel. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. The liss of a grandparent is tough. You are so lucky to have had him around. I haven't had a grandparent in 13 years and my Papaw was my best bud. Take care of your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Mel, I'm so sorry to read this! I remember reading about how special he is to you when you posted about him in October. My thoughts are with your family, especially your dear grandmother! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry about your Grandpa! Mine just died in December and as sad as it was, celebrating all that he was was so special! Lots of hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thinking of you and your family Mel. I lost all 4 of my grandparents by the age of 26 and it was so hard to watch my parents go through the loss of a parent. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry Mel! I know it can't be easy and I know it will get better with time. I love that you celebrated his "life", and remember he will live on forever in your heart. Sending you big hugs sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am very sorry for your loss. Your grandfather sounds like an incredible man. I'm glad you were able to see him and say goodbye. :::hugs:::

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aw Mel I am so sorry to hear this. I will be thinking of you and your family. Praying for you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so sorry for your loss, Mel! I am glad you were able to say goodbye. Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mel, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. So glad you had time to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So sorry for your loss Mel, I will be thinking and praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so sorry for your loss. Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thinking of you this week. He sounds like a wonderful man and I'm glad you have so many great memories of him!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So sorry to hear about your grandfather. Grandpas sure do hold a special place in our hearts...so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete