Thursday, April 17, 2014

Life lately... the running part...

Hey there! Hai, hai, hai... Life's going my friends. Where shall I start?

I ran my first half marathon of 2014 on April 6th. It is that course with #allthehills in downtown St. Louis. I, honestly, had not been running much at ALL prior to. I logged about 15 miles total in 3 months before the race BUT... I committed so I got up and ran.

It was a gorgeous day to run and I paid 80 bucks so I wasn't about to NOT get my money's worth:) First 5 miles I was doing fine - slower than usual but keeping the momentum. Mile 6 was an incline and I saw this kid with this sign that said "shortcut" and I am not lying 77% of me was ready to head off the trail and follow that kid to the nearest Lions Choice... but I kept at it and told myself if I can get up the Holy Hill I was GOLDEN. Mile 10 I got my second wind and Lil Wayne started with "A Milli" and I was OFF... Finished the 13.1 in 2:20 - NOT near my usual time but I was really proud of myself - I overcame my self doubt, my head telling me to DETOUR, and I didn't eat 2 roast beef's with cheese, fries, and a large Root Beer that afternoon from my fav Lions C...;)



The following weekend I had signed up to run a 5K for MODOT Work Zone Awareness and so we did. This course was no joke - it was another incline city but each 1/2 mile they had a cone set up with a worker who had lost his/her life on the job - it was motivation, a reminder to slow down in work zones, and my realization that this could happen to E at any moment, on the days he is out in the field. Scary...

This was E's first race EVER (his work put a team together) so he was pretty AMPd up... He stuck with me for the first mile and we clocked in about an 8:30 mile - then the second mile I pulled back - he was in the ZONE and I thought, hey why not let him run this run? I didn't want him to worry about where I was or blah, blah, blah... and I am not going lie - I was tired and my body STILL hurt from the half the weekend before (yes training is worth it - hahaha). I stuck behind him - he came in around 27 something and I was right behind at 28 something. Not my fastest race but, once again, I chose running instead of waffles that morning - WINNING!


Saturday I am going to get out there and hopefully crank out around 13 miles. My boy Tim and his hot wife (my sweet friend) Jenn are running their first half marathon Saturday morning, and I really wanted to be there. I can't make it this time around, so I am going to run WITH them - just virtually:)

I am back to running... Glad to be - I truly missed it. I am pumped to get my running back in order. I am starting to book up my race calendar and plan to run my next 26.2 in October - the St. Louis Rock N Roll Marathon - YAY! I also think that K9Bish and I are going to run 26.2 at the St. Jude Memphis Marathon in December, just hoping it is NOT another repeat from last year.

If anyone is planning any STL races and wants to run with someone or at least meet at the start line - let me know? I have been racing solo lately and miss having someone there as motivation and support to keep going.

Hope everyone is doing well. I will update more on life MINUS the running part soon. MISS YOU ALL TREMENDOUSLY! Have a wonderful Easter.


Thursday OUT

  How is racing going for you? Started running for the first time? Trying something new?

20 comments:

  1. I love that perspective, choosing running over waffles...always a win! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm, you are my hero!! First of all, after my FIRST half marathon I ate anything and EVERYTHING for a FEW days. So come Monday evening I had a huge gut ache. I can be a dum dum at times!! Secondly, you are awesome for being able to run 13.1 miles without much training before hand AND you still beat me! How is the course at the rock n roll marathon?? Is it really hilly? I want to run another half this fall, but I am not sure if I want to sign up for a really hilly run. I am from KS, we like things flat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you!! Waffles sound good now...thanks lol just kidding

    Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are back!!! Happy Thursday! Drinks soon?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah, I missed your face! So glad all is well -- and if you ever want a run pal you just say the word, I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *Smooches* You will be home chilling for a good two hours before I ever cross the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok you are killing it, and with not training I call that a win my friend!!! So glad you and E ran together that's super sweet!!! I think you should mosey on up here and we can do a race or meet in the middle. You know the races that are on my calender:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see your sweet face back blogging, even if just for a bit! Happy Easter Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad your back and that picture of you and the kids is a framer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not to sound like a broken record, but I'm also glad to see you're back! :) Hope you have a great Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lions C is my fave too! ;) I'm doing my first 5k this weekend. Eek!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that pic of u and the kiddos! Miss reading about your life ! :) glad it's amazing as always still!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like you're doing great!! and i'm gonna be in st. louie this summer for a scentsy convention! how far away do you live from there?

    ReplyDelete
  14. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would LOVE to run with you!!! I live in Springfield, IL so not to far from you. One problem - I am SLOW compared to you! I average 11:00-11:30 min mile!
    Lori Dale

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally chose waffles over running this morning :(. BUT in my defense I just got a tattoo retouched and can't wear a sports bra for another week and it's impossible to run without one! Aaand I plan on going for a walk in the hills this afternoon to work off that waffle

    Excited for some more updates! Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey girlie! I think you did awesome on your half despite not running much before! I am still running but on a treadmill. I miss it so much! My lungs probably couldn't handle too much I am out of shape!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I too have been terribly missing my running over this LONG and dreary winter. I am so excited to get back into gear now that spring has FINALLY arrived in Wisco. Having that mucho $$$$ Chicago Marathon registration completed gives me all the incentive I need to get my butt in gear. I have the Soldier Field 10 mile race in Chicago that I'm running Memorial Day weekend and am so looking forward to, just gotta get a couple of longish runs in before then so I don't fall apart on that one. Beautiful, flat course along the lakefront. Running with a group of veterans to commemorate their tour in Iraq 10 years ago.

    Always so excited to read a post from you!

    ReplyDelete